Needing Amp Sugestion
May 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bisnaga

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking around the forum but got to a point where im in need of help.

Im about to buy the SoundMagic HP-150, and it seems that it requires an Amp.

The thing is i want to use my Pc Soundcard "X-Fi Forte 7.1" as the source connection to the so called Amp, but i just have not much of a clue of what to choose.
I know X-Fi forte has an Headphone amp, but im not sure if it will milk the Hp-150.

My Budget right now for an amp is of 100€.

Any help will be appreciated.

May 12, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 7
You don't need an amp for those headphones. Not that I'm familiar with the headphones (because I'm not), but the specs indicate it doesn't "need" an amp. Just plug it straight into the sound card's headphone jack and enjoy.

May 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 7
If the X-Fi Forte has a headphone amp, I'd wait to see if you really need one. The HP150s may sound very good with what you have :)

May 12, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 7
  I have been lurking around the forum but got to a point where I'm in need of help.
I'm about to buy the SoundMagic HP-150, and it seems that it requires an Amp.
The thing is i want to use my Pc Sound card "X-Fi Forte 7.1" as the source connection to the so called Amp, but i just have not much of a clue of what to choose.
I know X-Fi forte has an Headphone amp, but I'm not sure if it will milk the Hp-150.
My Budget right now for an amp is of 100€.

The 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP150 should work decently without a dedicated headphone amplifier.
And the headphone amplifier built into the Forte should have no problem driving the HP150 (maybe even loud enough to damage your ears).

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the Forte card or it's software.

May 12, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks a lot for the help guys, i thought it would not be able drive it but if it is then thats super.

About the X-Fi Forte, lets say i was having a slight issue with it a long time ago and kinda stached her away, a month ago i went back to it to see if i could get it to work properly.

The issue was screeching noises at random times coming from the analogs without even playing nothing, and after that increasing the volume would make a lot of distortion till no sound but for now its seems back to normal, got some black electrical tape and got all the bracket covered with it and no more issues till now.

For now onboard is still enabled because of mic boost "drivers issues" with Forte but got it fixed so i can actually disable it, but why do you ask is there a issue related to it?

May 12, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks a lot for the help guys, i thought it would not be able drive it but if it is then that's super.
About the X-Fi Forte, lets say i was having a slight issue with it a long time ago and kinda stached her away, a month ago i went back to it to see if i could get it to work properly.
The issue was screeching noises at random times coming from the analogs without even playing nothing, and after that increasing the volume would make a lot of distortion till no sound but for now its seems back to normal, got some black electrical tape and got all the bracket covered with it and no more issues till now.
For now on-board is still enabled because of mic boost "drivers issues" with Forte but got it fixed so i can actually disable it, but why do you ask is there a issue related to it?

Sometimes active on-board audio has a negative effect with an add-on internal sound card.
The active on-board might even have been a contributing factor to your issues with the Forte.

May 12, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 7
I tried everything but it was not it, not even the onboard was making interference, what i noticed was before the mic would sound like "Raining" way to much out of the ordinary you could barely hear the voice with such noise, and now just a realy low "rain" effect nothing special i would even say the normal white noise you would get now just got to wait some days of testing and Hope i got it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back