Needing a little help
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

marnz

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 manufaktur 600ohm, which is a bit of over kill for all I use them for is to listen to music and play games on the computer. But it was brought to my attention that to get the best quality and sound from these master pieces, it was recommended that I purchase a DAC and AMP. I was wondering if anyone was able to suggest any information or recommendations on which ones I should be looking at or would be good for these headphones. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Also apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Regards,
MArnz

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Many many people like to use virtual surround for gaming and movies. You could get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX which has Dolby Headphone, then connect an external DAC/amp to it via optical, and use the Dolby Headphone feature.

Look into

Schiit Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2
Audio GD NFB-15 or NFB-11

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Awesome these look to be DAC + Amp, which in one which leads me to the question i came up with when researching on my own, is there an major downfalls in having an all in one unit over a separate dac and separate amp?

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 13
Just a quick question looking into the NFB-11 and 15 and from what I can tell it's the chipset is the major difference, is anyone able to tell me if it is worth paying the extra 200 for the the 11

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 13
Just a quick question looking into the NFB-11 and 15 and from what I can tell it's the chipset is the major difference, is anyone able to tell me if it is worth paying the extra 200 for the the 11

$200? Did you convert to a different currency? The NFB-15 is $250 and the NFB-11 is $325. That's only a $75 difference.

In any case most products built around the ESS chips tend to be geared towards neutral, some products built around Wolfson chips are sometimes built to be deliberately warm. I haven't heard any feedback that the NFB-15 is warm enough to be problematic so I'd guess there isn't all that much difference tonally. Amp specs are identical as well.

Also, don't use USB - just use toslink. Your mobo has SoundBlaster surround simulation - DSP signals can pass through SPDIF. No need for anything fancy, just pick up a cable that doesn't look fragile. Monoprice I think has the really cheap one and also a thicker one with beefier plugs.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 13
$200? Did you convert to a different currency? The NFB-15 is $250 and the NFB-11 is $325. That's only a $75 difference.

In any case most products built around the ESS chips tend to be geared towards neutral, some products built around Wolfson chips are sometimes built to be deliberately warm. I haven't heard any feedback that the NFB-15 is warm enough to be problematic so I'd guess there isn't all that much difference tonally. Amp specs are identical as well.

Also, don't use USB - just use toslink. Your mobo has SoundBlaster surround simulation - DSP signals can pass through SPDIF. No need for anything fancy, just pick up a cable that doesn't look fragile. Monoprice I think has the really cheap one and also a thicker one with beefier plugs.

+1

Also, if you have Amazon Prime, I've used the Amazon Basics optical cables.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 13

Hey Mate,

Thank you for your reply! In my attempt at doing conversion i put in the wrong prince in for the NFB-11 ><. Since it under a 100 difference i might as well got the NFB-11 with the cable you suggested. Thank you everyone for your replies.
Appreciated it.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back