need urgent help
Jun 29, 2002 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nae45ro

100+ Head-Fier
Hy guys! Do u think u can reccomend me some good headphones for around 200$?

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 11
welcome to Head-Fi
there are thousands of views on different headphones.
use the search and you will be reading for days
good luck
all the answers are here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi,

I like the Sennheiser HD-580. They go for around $140 on E-bay and there's no difference between them and the HD-600's that go for about $225 on E-bay.

In order to get the most out of them, you'll need an amp. I got Creek OBH-11 for $150, with which I'm very happy. If you don't want to invest in an amp, you may want to consider Sennheiser HD-590's. They're nice and don't need an amp, but they're not quite as well balanced and natural sounding as the 580/600's.

Jun 29, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Any of the audio technica cans are good choices. You can find them here www.audiocubes.com They don't need an amp to reach their full potential either

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
Any of the audio technica cans are good choices. You can find them here www.audiocubes.com They don't need an amp to reach their full potential either

Jesus christ man, he's a newbie, don't lie about stuff he doesn't know about, he'll believe you!!

OF COURSE most of the AT cans need an amp to get to their full potential...

My recommendation is that you do a search on these phones:

HD580
Grado sr60,80 and 125 (dunno if the 325 is within your range)
Beyer 250-80, 770, 531

The grados are hard to obtain at a reasonable price in europe. The other phones can be ordered from the most noble of all online dealers, www.meier-audio.com

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
OF COURSE most of the AT cans need an amp to get to their full potential...

My recommendation is that you do a search on these phones:

HD580
Grado sr60,80 and 125 (dunno if the 325 is within your range)
Beyer 250-80, 770, 531

The headphones that you're recommending also NEED an amp to get to their full potential, too! Though most can be driven directly from a *gutless* portable, the resulting sound quality is NOT what I would consider even "mid-fi", let alone "hi-fi" (though I'm sure that the sound would still be WAY better than with the 'phones that come packaged with such portables). In fact, the ONLY headphones that sound at their full potential without an amp are the cheap crappophones from various brands (bundled with portables or sold separately) - when amped, those either show NO improvement from their already crappy sound OR actually sound EVEN WORSE.

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 11
thanks for the help guys.I think i'll go with the 580's but i want to use them exclusively with my line in home,wich also has an amplifier.Give me some clues!Do i still need an amplifier?

Jun 29, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 11
You don't need a dedicated headphone amplifier, but you definately should if you want to get the most value out of your money. I recommend a diy design amp called the META42, they can be had for cheap.

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Depends on how much quality you want in your audio.

HD580/600's for best performance need a proper amp and optional cable. Add $100 for the cable and +$350 for amp.
The Musical Fidelity Xcans are $280 (tube amp).

Just plugged into a receiver, well, they are not at their best. A cheaper headphone in this case can perform better overall.

Jun 29, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 11
You don't NEED an amp to drive the 580s with your receiver. However, an amp will definitely improve things. A good amp will let the 580's blossom. You may still like the way the 580s sound with a receiver, but the difference with the headphone amp will be a more enveloping, dynamic and spaceous sound. If you can afford it, get an amp. You don't have to get an expensive one. Creek OBH-11 or the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 are very good.

Re: cables, I did an A/B comparison with stock cables and replacement cables and I couldn't hear any difference. To me, the extra $100 for the replacement cables is an absolute ripoff.

Jun 29, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 11
A headphone that gives decent sound without an amp is the Ultrasone HFI-600. $105 USD at Meier Audio, higher elsewhere. There's at least one review floating around the Head-Fi forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back