Need urgent help choosing between many Sennheiser models
Jul 15, 2008 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

meurglys0

100+ Head-Fier
The earphones I have been using with my discman which is very close to its death broke today, so I need to buy cheap earphones to use till hopefully I am ble to buy a new discman.

My options are very limited due to budget and lack of models at stores I can immediately get the earphones (I don't want to wait for the order to arrive, so I'm not considering ordering one online)... Anyway, the three options are:

Philips She-7750 : Frequency Response: 8 - 24 000 Sensitivity: 108 dB
Price: 23 Dollars

Philips SHE-7850 : Frequency Response: 8 - 24 000 Hz Sensitivity: 108 dB
Price: 45 Dollars

Philips SHE-9500 : Frequency Response: 6 - 23 500 Hz Sensitivity: 102 dB
Price: 68 Dollars

What is Sensitivity? and Which is more important; sensitivity or Freq Response? Please help me choose the best of these...

Also in the specs of She-7750 and She-7850 I saw no difference; so why is one of them more expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 8
If the 9500 is a canalphone, I know that one..
It is quite bassy, but other than that it is an OK phone if you are on a budget..

neither freq respons nor sensitivity is something that you schould choose your phones from, it is just numbers almost.....

Sensitivity is how loud it goes..

Freq response is the spectrum of sound that the phone is capable of delivering..

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the 9500 is a canalphone, I know that one..

Thanks for your reply...

Now my spectrum of options widened a bit; from one store we have:

Sennheiser MX 560
Frequency response 19 - 20000 Hz
Impedance 32 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL)112 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)

Sennheiser MX 500
Nominal impedance32 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL)119 dB(SPL)
Frequency response (headphones)18.....22000 Hz

Sennheiser CX 500
Frequency response17 - 22000 Hz
Impedance 16 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL)113 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)

Sennheiser CX 400
Frequency response17 - 22000 Hz
Impedance 16 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL)113 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)

Sennheiser CX300
Frequency response18Hz - 21kHz
Impedance 16 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL) 112 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)

and from another store we have:

Sennheiser MX 300

Frequency response: 18Hz - 20kHz
Impedance : 32 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL): 122dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)

Sennheiser MX 360

Frequency response: 20 - 20000 Hz
Sound pressure level (SPL): 110 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrm)

Sennheiser MX 460

Frequency response: 19 - 20000 Hz
Sound pressure level (SPL): 112 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrm)

Which three are the best do you think?

And the Philips earphones had frequency response values like "8 - 24 000 Hz" while the sennheisers have values like "17 - 22000 Hz"... Does this mean the philips is better in means of frequency response???

Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 8
I have used the Senn CX300 as my on-the-go plugs for a couple years now when I don't want to use my more expensive UE super.fi.5 pro. For the price they do ok. I haven't heard the later CX400, CX500, but I assume they are supposed to sound a bit better.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 8
I liked the Phillips 9500 more than the cx 300..

Human hearing (if perfect) goes from about 16-20.000 HZ, in real life not many of us can hear above 16.000 or below 20, so most of us do not really use the highest and lowest frequenses..

So IMO those numbers do not really tell much about how the phones sound, the best you can do is buy the ones you think is the best one, listen to them and return them if you do not like them, I know that some stores do not like that, but in my country they are forced by law to do so....inside the first 30 days.

If you are from the US a company like Headroom or Todd, has a very good reputation and return policy.

the Sensitivty only matters if you are using full size phones on a portable player, most earbud/canal/IEM can play so loud that you in a couple of years go deaf, from a portable player..

Just remember it is all about the sound not about numbers.

BTW sorry about your wallet...

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the Phillips 9500 more than the cx 300..

Thank you for taking the time to reply my questions.

The earphones I had (that broke) were Phillips SHE3600 and the one before that which I favored over the mentioned Phillips was a Sony MDR-E818. Neither were good, but when I checked their specs, I realized the Sony's were better, so ı figured it must be about them... But if you say they're not so important, I'll drop the case.

Unfortunately Phillips 9500 is not sold where I live.

I know I have bothered you with insistent questions - forgive me for that please - however I have to ask, from my options, which one do you think I should go for?

Info on my preferences: I listen to progressive rock mostly and some straight rock (Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Springsteen, The Waterboys etc.). I really don't like when earphones impose a strong bass sound when in fact the original music on the cd has bass levels nothing close to that. However if you know Yes, I would love to be able to hear Chris Squire's powerful bass playing, if you know what I mean. I love to hear the details and I like a crisp sound. So I need earphones that is not bassless but not bassy also... in fact we could summarize what I need as "balanced earphones".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back