Need to upgrade from a Toshiba 4900 for $500-700 (redbook). Advice? :D
May 18, 2004 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
Well, it's about damn time I got a halfway decent source. And while I'm not quite psychologically ready to plunk down >= $1K on a source, for now I'd be willing to spend 500-700 (willing to buy used on audiogon) to try something that would be a substantial improvement over my current sources and also have decent resale value.

- I need: the best redbook CD playback I can get for this money, preferably through a standalone CD player, though if I could get great redbook out of a higher-end dvd player that would be great. Also, a DAC that's jitter resistant could work for me.

- I have: The toshiba 4900 (quite similar to the also hyped 3950/3960) and a Panasonic rp91, both dvd players. While they sound relatively similar, they each have flaws that bother me. The toshiba has a liquidy smooth sound that is also more resolving & detailed than the panasonic, but the dynamics and attack are weaker than the panny's (probably the panny has a better power supply tucked within its much beefier chassis). The panny has a slightly grainy and gritty sound that started annoying me after I heard the toshiba do it better. Tonally, the toshiba is slightly warm, and the panny is slightly less warm.

- I want: A player that combines the strengths of my 2 current sources and doesn't have any flaws that are as big as the ones in these sources. That means I want something at least as smooth, grain free, and detailed as the toshiba, and with dynamics at least as good as the panny. I want the sonic upgrade to justify the cost, and when I listen to my new source I don't want to feel like something important is missing. Tonally, I don't really care so much as long as it sticks close to neutral. I wouldn't want anything warmer than the toshiba, though.

I've been especially looking at a used rega planet 2000 (BTW, what's a good used price on these?), but I've also become interested in the NAD 542 and S500i due to the positive comments on this forum. Has anyone with experience in the $500-$700 CD player range heard one of the hyped toshiba players? I'd like to hear whether you think I can get what I'm looking for. Even if you haven't heard them I'd like thoughts on whether the rega will get me what I want, or if you have any suggestions you think are better. I'm getting the itch to pull the trigger on something here soon (luckily there are no real guns in my apartment). Sorry for the annoyingly long post
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Sacdmods Philips 963sa. Pick up a new 963sa for $299-329 and the mods are $391. Great redbook and sacd; especially redbook. This player upsamples to 96k or 192k for redbook. Its an excellent DVD player as well. Once you hear it as a cd player you wont use it for DVD though.
wink.gif
Nothing I am aware of can touch it for the money.

www.sacdmods.com for information.

May 18, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 7
I'd suggest a lightly used Jolida JD 100A. I just wrote a review on it...I think it's what you are seeking.

May 18, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Earl & Tom, I'll look into those two players as well.

Earl, that Zap filter looks like a lot of mod for the money. Sometimes I read about a mod package and wonder if I'd be able to hear any difference, but this one looks pretty substantial.

And Tom, great review! Looks like you addressed some of the specific points I was looking for.

May 18, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 7
mulveling,

before i was in that kind of situation like you . my advice would be to endure a little bit more using both sources you have and save up a few more hundreds so you can get into the $1000 ++ range .

The used meridians 508/xx would be in this price range.

If you buy a used cdp in the $500-700 range - a few more you can get very high end older cdp's.

i bought a rega planet 2000 to replace my cheap sony and pioneer sources . i only had the rega planet 2k for 2 weeks and upgraded right away to a higher end one .

dont get me wrong - the rega planet 2k is very nice and waaaayyy up there as an upgrade .

May 19, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 7
How about Sony CDP-X3000 or X5000? They are presumably one of the best sounding Redbook only players Sony produced and one of the most sought after models in used market. (These were only sold in Japan/Europe.) Very good sounding and X3000 has a switchable digital filter (I think Bangraman used one for his headphone review http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32461)

May 19, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
mulveling,

before i was in that kind of situation like you . my advice would be to endure a little bit more using both sources you have and save up a few more hundreds so you can get into the $1000 ++ range .
The used meridians 508/xx would be in this price range.

That's what I did and I don't regret it. The 508.20 is the best source I've ever owned but I understand budget too. I'm looking for a source for my second system and am considering the 963sa as it's very affordable and can be modded to be exceptional. If you can save to go Meridian or the equivalent, you won't be sorry but there are alternatives if your budget is less flexible.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back