Need to replace (sob...) AKG K240's
Jul 12, 2002 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
So I finally (after 2 years of getting around to it) bought my first headphone amp - the Headroom Little. I'm very pleased with the improved sound quality over my headphone jack on my preamp.

Now, however, comes the hard part...I feel like I want to get a better pair of headphones.

My AKG K240's have been very good to me over the years...almost 20 years. They provided me with quality sound when my friends were raving about the Koss 4S. I just know that, when I replace them, I'll feel like I did when I took my dog to the vet to have him put to sleep. Sure, it was time...but...
frown.gif

So I need a VERY good headphone, so that I can rationalize replacing my old friend.

My research leads me to believe that I'll want two (once my budget gets approved by committee): The Grado SR225 (for rock and other rowdy music) and the Sennheiser HD600 (for everything else). Anyone have an opinion about how either of these performs in the Little (and yes, I've done several searches and come up with little...no pun intended, of course).

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 7
I think you nailed it!
Those would be my choices(except I got SR325).
md

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 7
You may want to check out the new AKG-K240S which are only 55 Ohms impedance and a detatchable connecting cord. These are very easy to drive than the 240M which are 600 Ohms. I have a pair of the 240S and think they are great. They are selling for only $99.99 brand new.

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 7
^ strongly seconded!

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
You may want to check out the new AKG-K240S which are only 55 Ohms impedance and a detatchable connecting cord. These are very easy to drive than the 240M which are 600 Ohms. I have a pair of the 240S and think they are great. They are selling for only $99.99 brand new.

Thanks...I'm curious how the sound quality differs between the "M" and "S" models. Any thoughts?

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 7
elrod-tom,

Based on my own opinion, the K240s are good HPs even for today's standard. Don't you see AKG still make them and they are being used worldwide in studios. Their are very uncolored. Your newly acquired Headroom little should give them a big boost over the hp jack of your preamp (improved bass, more refinement). I personally feel that Grados are great HPs, however, they sound virtually the same even unamped. Would that become a waste of your Headroom Litte? So think twice. Just my 2 cents. Try it yourself, don't take my words for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back