Need to buy mini stereo system for sisters bday!
Apr 2, 2004 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kikkomaso

Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend a mini stereo system for around $200-300? My sisters 16th bday is coming up and since she totalled the minivan while driving with her permit, I don't think my parents are gonna buy her a new car anytime soon
biggrin.gif
Anywho, she listens to music all the time on her Aureal Vortex sound card and cheap $15 speakers, so I thought it might be nice to get her a mini system that can tune into radio stations and play her cds. We live in a place with alot of interference so maybe a recommendation for a better antenna? Thanks guys!

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 18
Tivoli Model 2 and a vintage PCDP will be the least expensive and best sounding combo (imho). Unfortunately, with this combo, you're missing out on the remote control. However, the Tivoli Model 2 has a pretty strong tuner. The Denon mini-systems are kind of pricy, but if you can find one for a good price, they're also supposed to be nice.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
The Denon mini-systems are kind of pricy, but if you can find one for a good price, they're also supposed to be nice.

Yes, the Denon mini-systems are very nice.

The D-M31S is at the high end of your price range, usually going for $280-300, but most people think it's worth the money. Lately, I've seen places charging $399 for it, though. Might be a testament to its popularity if people are willing to pay that much for it. Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Froogle for better pricing.

An acquaintance of mine had the D-M30S (the earlier version of the D-M31S) in his office and he quite liked it. He eventually sold it off and upgraded to the D-M50S -- another nice little mini-system from Denon. Costs about $550, though.

Anyway, if you have a Magnolia Hi-Fi or similar store near you, maybe go test a D-M31S. I think you (and your sister) would be pleased with it.

D.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 18
Being a teenage girl I kinda doubt she'll care first about sound quality, but IMO the Tivoli does look cool, and different than anything else. I'd recommend it with a PCDP as a great option, a very nice gift indeed. Excellent quality and you could probably get the model subwoofer and stay in your budget with a good used PCDP. The sub does a nice job of adding some heft to the sound (were not talking home theatre bass here folks), and the mids and highs are very nice. Plus the tuner works great. It should last a very long time

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 18
At under $300 price level it really doesn't matter...........just get the coolest looking one that has features you want. I like the ones that allow you to view backlit CD spinning (like cheap version of Shanling player)
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Another vote for Denon DM31
wink.gif

First rate build quality, cd/tuner in compact attractive package, Mission-made speakers to sweeten midrange. There is subwoofer output in the receiver for future 2.1 upgrade as well.
Note that it also has headphone jack in front fascia, not sure if it's any good in quality, but it's definite plus for convenience.
After all this is head-fi site.
Excellent package with good value all around it.
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
Being a teenage girl I kinda doubt she'll care first about sound quality

I imagine that Oddball would disagree with you on this point.
wink.gif

D.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 18
waaasup Demo!
Well pointed out that it's for a teenager, but she is bound to grow up....right
biggrin.gif

How many people are fixated with their adolescent memoir? All of us are prone to experiences. Even without being aware of it is different story, but it's in all of us.
I still remember my sansui of mid 80's, but 'now they're gone' doesn't mean it's out of my head!!!

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
I imagine that Oddball would disagree with you on this point.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I wasn't going to bring that up, but now that you've mentioned it...

My experience with other teenage girls and good sound equipment is that they're actually more interested in it than they first appear. One of my friends, let's call her Katie, is the total non-geek. She likes make-up, clothing--the works. Heck, she's even a baton twirler. Katie's the sort that guys go after and other girls look up to. And she had these absolutely awful freebie Sony exercise headphones. Initially, Katie joked around saying that my Sony Eggos were "gianormous," but after a few weeks she sobered up and tried them out. She ended up liking them. That's just one example. So yes "normal" teenage girls can appreciate nice sounding equipment as long as you don't present the gear to them in a geeky way. Let them come to it. Eventually, they will care about sound quality. Probably not as the first priority, but as long as it isn't absolutely hideous, a girl will appreciate good stuff.

Okay...that's my rant for today. Hi kentamcolin, always nice to see another girl on the boards.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 18
My 17 year-old Daughter is very much a normal girl and she loves audio and even has a turntable and few hundred records of her own. She has her own headphones,amps and even has some good cables. She's a pom-pom ans is as feminine as any girl you'll ever meet.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 18
See if you can find a Panasonic PM03. It should cost < $200. It costs AUD$300 when I bought it for my sis.

I cant find anything that's better under US$800 here in Oz.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bigD
waaasup Demo!

Howdy!

Yeah, I'm still fixated on adolescent memories, too. That's probably why I still act so immature.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

So yes "normal" teenage girls can appreciate nice sounding equipment as long as you don't present the gear to them in a geeky way. Let them come to it. Eventually, they will care about sound quality.

In another thread, I mentioned that I gave away some low- and mid-end Grados and other headphones, some DIY amps, a couple of low-end sources, and a box of cables. I gave them to my cousin's children (four girls, one boy), ranging in age from 15-21. The boy (age 20) isn't interested in audio -- he's a computer geek. However, the girls (ages 15, 17, 18, and 21, I think) are becoming avid audio fans. As with most people, the only headphones that they'd ever heard were the pieces of crap that came with their iPods, NOMADs, Walkmans, etc.

So, it's true that teenaged girls can become interested in audio and will occasionally become passionate about it, as evidenced by Fred's daughter and you, Oddball. In some cases, it carries through into their adult lives, as evidenced by some of Head-Fi's female members (e.g. Lisa, morsel, plainsong, OakIris, etc.).

My hope is that my cousins will take after the female members of Head-Fi, and learn to love good music as heard through well-designed, high-quality audio gear. If they do, then my efforts will have been worthwhile.

Quote:

Hi kentamcolin, always nice to see another girl on the boards.

Ken, is there something you're not telling us?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

D.

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Oops. Speed-reading doesn't always pay off. A few minutes after posting that I had qualms, but shrugged it off. Mentally edit out the previous statement.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back