Need Tips on Tips - Shure E2C
May 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

classicalguy

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for advice on sleeves for my Shure e2cs. I have been using the medium clear plastic ones that came with the phones. They are a bit uncomfortable, and come loose. What are other options:

Black foam olives: someone mentioned a procedure with needle nose pliers to make them work? I hope the pliers are for the sleeves and not the ear!

Someone mentioned Comply tips. Look kind of expensive.

What about the black flex sleeves?

Other options?

May 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 10
What is the form olive? When I purchased the E2c, I got three sizes of each of foam, flex sleeve (clear) & soft flex sleeve (black). I am always using the mid-size of the soft flex sleeve. Did you put them in your ear the corroct way? When I first got it I was confused for a while for that the one I have is clear type but one has half black. I met someone on the plane with the samething and I ahsed which one is for the right ear and he told me it was the all clear one. He was wrong. Unfortunataly I do not think Shure has that clarigied in the manual, if there is one.

I did not have any issue with them popping out of my ears.

May 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 10
classicalguy, have you tried olives yet? I believe it was me (not my idea, credit goes to sorrick, afaik) with the pliers on the olives thread...any success?
Here's the link again for others who may be interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/awe...ple-fi-232939/

Thread's UE, but works just as well for E2c...

jaazychu - yep, it's half-black for right ear. Otherwise you'd have to put them in upside down -?!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 10
I bought my e2cs before the black soft flex sleeves were out. I got only yellow foam and clear plastic, and have been using the plastic. Yes, I know how to insert them in my ears, but the seal doesn't stick.

Thanks for the link on modding the olives. That threat is about using the olives on UE phones, not e2c, and has a lot of very mixed opinions (from stretching and having a VERY tight seal on the HPs, to replacing the core with micro-surgery. Has anyone actually used olives on the e2cs? If so, what did you do?

The comply tips sound like a possible alternative, although they might be a bit more expsnive and apparently don't last as long.

I'm also wondering about the soft black flex sleeves. Are they are significant improvement over the clear plastic sleeves?

Why oh why doesn't sure make a proper olive for the e2c?

May 17, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Is there anyway you can replace the cable? My wire is exposed...

May 18, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 10
I do not know whether you are referring to comfortness or sound quality when comparing the black soft flex sleeve to the clear flex sleeve? My experience is the clear one is simply not comfortable in the first place and I just don't like it. You may be able to find the black ones on ebay and try them yourself. I don't consider the E2C a top quality headphone, but for portability and listening on the road, it provides adequate isolation (not perfect) and decent sound. You can not expect HiFi on the road, not at least in this price range.

May 18, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Jazzychu: Comfort is my main issue. I have Senn HD-580s for SQ when I want to listen on headphones at home (which is not very often). I also have an old pair of Stax Sigmas that I don't use anymore, but am thinking of digging out of the garage. I use Koss KSC-75s for knocking around. But in loud environs like the subways of NYC or on an airplane, I want something with good isolation, and the E2C's should be fine for that if I can get them to be comfortable. The SQ of the E2C's is just fine for me. I just want them to be comfortable.

I guess I will have to try the black flex sleeves. Also, I want to get some Otoferm and see if that helps.

2162: replace the cable? Huh?

May 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 10
what I have done in the past, when I fly international, I carry a ralative cheap nosie cancellation over-the-ear phone to double up with the E2C. When my ear gets too tired with the E2C, I hust use the other phone. SQ may suffer a little, but who cares if this is not serious listening. Good luck.

Also I am seriously thinking of joining the electrostatic bandwagon. Let me know if you are tired of your Stax since you are not using it. Is Stax way better (ten times if that can be meassured) than the E2C?

May 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 10
I just got the black soft flex sleeves myself for my e2c to replace those plastic ones and I must say they are a lot more comfortable. Plus theyre silicone so you dont have to change them like the foam ones. I got mine from shure for only $15 by getting one of their fit kits. Just order 2 of these Shure - QuietSpot Headset Fit Kit or you can just go here Shure PA749 New Soft Sleeves for Shure SCL2, E2c, E2G only and get the assortment or the exact size that you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back