Need suggetions for new headphones
May 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

daxter146

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! First time poster here. I recently started to get into the audio quality of my headphones. my pair of skullcandy titans broke after about a year. I've been looking at sennheiser for awhile bur i recently stumbled across ultimate ear 100. they seem good and i may get them but i have a budget right now of $30. I really want some in ear but not the kind with memory foam as those hurt my ear after awhile. thanks in advance!

May 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 13
I second the soundmagic e10 and e30 - especially since you mentioned metal and pop punk. The soundmagic both deliver extremely balanced audio and are not too bass heavy so they are perfect for those musical styles in my opinion. E30's take a while to burn in but after around 20 hours or so the sound is incredible - especially for live tracks - been listening to Joy Division, Buckethead and Beastie Boys all live lately and the crap's just incredible with the Soundmagic.

May 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 13
the JVC FX40 are pretty good for price and they work well with almost all genres music.

May 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 13
May 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

what stores sell vsonic?

You're going to have to buy online.  If in the US I recommend Lend Me Ur Ears,  Overseas, I recommend ebay seller, Bigbarginonline, (Lend Me sells on ebay too).  Check out Jokers 200 and something plus IEM review for detailed reviews.  The guy has a dead on good ear for sound.  Everyones ears are different but I'll give you my quick take on IEMS I use as my music taste is the same as yours, I'm guessing.
Vsonic GR99- Slight v/u shape with nice punchy tight Bass-Sweet detailed Mids and nice crispy Treble.  $27 bucks is a STEAL of the year.
Vsonic GR02-Same sound as the GR99 but a tad less Bass, Better detail in Mid and Treble-Better soundstage  $36
MEE CW31 -Not talked about much-But VERY underrated-Sounds like the GR02 but just a little less Treble.  $30
MEE M6- V-shaped but oh so good as a budget set--less then $20
Vsonic GR06-Mid forward but not really lacking, The Bass is light but is nice and tight....$63

All these work VERY well with Rock and Metal, I'm using the CW31 right now, listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath with a big smile on my face...

Others can give you some more IEMS that might work.....I'm HI-FI on a LOW FI budget and the ones I listed are the tops IMO for the money!!!

May 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Don't get my wrong here, but i'm not really for buying online. I prefer to buy in store as its easier to return

Then you might have a problem getting a " Great set"....Most stores carry consumer crap, Skullcandy, Low end Sony,Cheap Jvcs ect....I think Best Buy sells the S4 in stores?, but thats another crap IEM imo....At least for me here in LB, Fry's might be your best bet as they stock MEE products in their stores, some Best Buys as well.  I can't really give much advice on Store shelve stuff, I wasted way too much money on crap that way.....Check out NUT's thread on his low budget finds.  I know he has been doing reviews on low end JVC's, there might be something in there for you?

May 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 13
The JVC HAFX40 does sound great. Don't let the $20 price fool you. Don't call the cheap JVC stuff low end. Some of it sounds great. The JVC HAFX40 IEMs and HA-S160 headphones for example sound better than  other brands that are triple the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back