Need suggestions!
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cezhunter

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am new to the head-fi community and relatively new to the audiophile world. about 6 months ago or so after a friends suggestion i invested in a pair of sr325is. I recently bought a schiit modi dac connected to my denon receiver and it sounds pretty good. Only thing is, the sr325s are pretty genre specific and although i fall in love with them when i listen to acoustic some other genres just don't pull me in as much. So having a summer job and what not I want to upgrade not only my amp but to the cans. I have been looking at the senn hd650 and the shure srh 1840. If i were to get the senns id probably go with a tube magic d1 but if i got the 1840s id probably go with something a little cheaper like a little dot i+ (tubes just sound like my type of sound). So if anyone can help me decide which to go to, or if there are any other cans that fit my criteria, i would love to hear your opinions and i greatly appreciate it. My music taste is mostly everything except country and metal. I listen to rock, ambient, electronic, trance, acoustic, some rap, etc. I am looking for something that will keep the acoustics alive like my grados do but really pull me into more bass heavier tracks like trance. Basically an all rounder. I appreciate the responses! 

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm going to guess(?) your Denon receiver makes a decent enough headphone amplifier, for driving the 300-Ohm HD650.
With the Shure SRH-1840, i would think buying a low impedance headphone amplifier, would be needed (which might also improve the SR325i audio quality).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back