need suggestions
Jun 29, 2002 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone i just recieved my grado SR-225's and i LOVE them. Now with what little money i have (about 200-225) i need an amp. I've never had a headphone amp before so i dont really know what i want. Ive heard alot of good stuff on the Little, and ive also heard that the Grado/creek obh-11 is a great combo. I'm not limiting suggestions to these i just want to hear what people say about what head amp i should get. I have one limitation it cant cost more than $350 NEW. Im just got a great deal on a $600 nakamichi cd player (which i got for $78 off of ebay) and thats being shipped right now. so i now have a good source and good headphones but i Need an amp because the headphone out on the CD player is weeeeeeaaaaaaaaaak. my dad has one and a comfortable listening volume is at about 1 o'clock.
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Jun 30, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 21
Actually...besides the Grado RA1, you could get a DIY amp from JMT, Thomas or Tangent called the CHA47. This amp was speficially designed for grados, and would be the price/performance choice for you. They are not costly either, usually less than 100$

Jun 30, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 21
actually forget that i dont want to buy something that ill want to replace in a few months. I think ill go for a good quality one the first time and not a $60 one that no1 can really say anything about because it was customized.

Jun 30, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 21
i would have to say either a total airhead or the creek.

i would NOT recommend the grado.

in my weekend that i had the grado for a loaner i couldn't tell the difference between the grado and just plugging directly into my receiver.

that was before i had much headphone amp experience at all (not that i'm an expert now) but i did a blind test where i had someone else switching where my senn 600's where plugged into and i honestly couldn't tell.

with my total airhead i can tell.

matthew

Jun 30, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 21
matthew5d,

One possible reason for your dissatisfaction with the RA-1 might be that the Senn 600s have a much higher impedence rating then Grado phones, and presumably, the RA-1 was made to match the lower impedence Grado line.

Jun 30, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 21
The amp you refered to is being sold by me. It was built by JMT, who has been recommended in this thread and in many other places on this board as a fine builder of amps that compete on equal footing with the other amps you have mentioned.

Since your budget is $350, I would recommend the Grado RA-1, since it was specifically designed to drive Grado headphones and was built by the Grado company. Should you be dissatisfied with it, you should be able to sell it on this forum easily.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 21
I find it interesting that people hear this amp so differently. There were some disgusted posts on the Headwize forum a while back concerning its part (except for the nice wood) and topology. Nevertheless, many owners say it works great with Grado headphones.

I auditioned one with Senn 600 (before I got my Grado 325s----ass forward!!) and thought it had very nice sound and plenty of power. I returned it since I thought the XcanV2 with XPSU did slightly better with the Senns.

Bottom line: the RA-1 is assuredly excellent for Grados, though perhaps somewhat pricey--unless you really value the pretty wood and battery power.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 21
well i haven't been on here that long and i haven't even posted 100 messages yet but i guess it's happened already...

i have become a senn-600 snob...

i am just about to order my second pair so i can stop shuffling them back and forth between home and work...

matthew

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
well i haven't been on here that long and i haven't even posted 100 messages yet but i guess it's happened already...

i have become a senn-600 snob...

i am just about to order my second pair so i can stop shuffling them back and forth between home and work...

matthew

For work, I would not use the HD600. Expensive to lose.

Try the 590 or 580 instead. With the difference in cash get one of the optional cables for your HOME HD600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back