Need suggestions on mod to HD-595 cable
Mar 20, 2006 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

raduray

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a Senn HD-595 and a Creative Zen Vision M on their way. The 595 has a 10 foot cord terminating in a 1/4 plug and a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor.

I think I'll want to modify the Senn's cable to shorten it and to put in a 1/8 plug. I've got a soldering iron and the skills to do it myself.

Several questions:
1. What length should I make the cable?
2. I'm thinking about using a Gold Series 1/8 Stereo Plug from the local Radio Shack. Any reason why not?

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 6
When it comes to audio equipment, there's always a more expensive alternative. Specifically, I can think of more expensive plugs made of more exotic materials, but I don't imagine that such an upgrade would make much (or any) difference, given your suggested application.

Just out of curiosity, why exactly do you want to shorten the cable? (If it were me, I'd probably just get the Grado 1/4 -> 1/8 converter, tie off unused cable with a velcro strip and call it a day.
biggrin.gif
)

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 6
I use the Grado 1/4 adapter as per angler31337's suggestion for my 595s.

I have a short Zu Mobius cable for the 600s - I love the cable, but often go back to the longer 650 cable I have, so I can walk around my room and go to bed with them on and plugged into PC
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 6
When i got mine they were already recabled with canare starquad, which works perfectly. I have heard bad things about that radioshack jack (IIRC), and would suggest a neutrik or something of higher quality. Dont want to kill those nice headphones with a bad connector...
-g

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
Just out of curiosity, why exactly do you want to shorten the cable? (If it were me, I'd probably just get the Grado 1/4 -> 1/8 converter, tie off unused cable with a velcro strip and call it a day.

I only need 4 or 5 feet to connect to my zen vison m. I would think it would be easier to cut the cable and put matching connectors on each of the new ends, so that I can always plug them together if I ever need the entire 10 feet. I considered the Grado option, but then I'd have to coil up and fasten the extra length, which would be ungainly, and also have an additional connection to the Grado adaptor to deal with.

I've used Radio Shack connectors in the past and never had problems, and they're available locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back