Need suggestions: headphones for gaming/movies
Sep 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Stryker412

New Head-Fier
Here's what I'm looking for and perhaps you all can steer me in the right direction.

1) If I'm watching movies/games I would like some form of surround (virtual/real). So that if I'm gaming, I'd like to be able to tell if someone is behind me.

2) I need them to be portable. I plan on using these at home and also on the plane (2-3x a year).

3) I like bass
smile.gif

4) I would prefer a closed design. Funny enough I work at a college and one of the students had Beats on today. I could hear what he was listening to halfway across the main hallway with a lot of others walking/talking. So if I'm on a plane or watching something in bed, that's going to be an issue.

I am a big fan of Sennheiser. I had a pair of their PX150s for 8 years and they were rock solid. We took them everywhere (Australia, NZ, all over the US) and they lasted. They also had great sound. I would always look at them first.

Someone over at AVS had recommended the Ultrasone 780s. Also, I read here that the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are really good.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 18
Around $200 is fine. Quick question on the surround aspect. When I'm watching movies or gaming at night, the headphones will be plugged into my AVR (Onkyo SR608). Will that do the simulated surround or will I still need headphones that have some sort of surround tech built in?

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Around $200 is fine. Quick question on the surround aspect. When I'm watching movies or gaming at night, the headphones will be plugged into my AVR (Onkyo SR608). Will that do the simulated surround or will I still need headphones that have some sort of surround tech built in?

Surround tech is just marketing. 

The pro 550 is another option. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Ok so if it's just a marketing gimmick, and I go with a strictly stereo set. Would the M50s be good or something else?

Heya,

Some receivers have a built-in headphone "surround sound" technology. Some don't. Refer to your Onkyo manual. Yamaha has "silent cinema" for example.

The M50 has a very stereo sound stage, not very good for games/movies. I would look at headphones with a sound stage, deeper cups, larger cups, angled drivers, etc. Ultrasones would be good for this. Also look into larger Air series of AudioTechnica (A900X, A700X, A900). Look at Brainwavz HM5, Beyer DT770, Denon D2000.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Ok so if it's just a marketing gimmick, and I go with a strictly stereo set. Would the M50s be good or something else?

For something way under budget.
Sony MDR-V6 headphones ($70), and get the Beyerdynamic EDT 200 (250 V) Velour ear pads ($23).
You can get the Sony MDR-V6 for even cheaper, used on eBay.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Which do you plan to do more of with them gaming or movies? The previous line of Denon's are hard to beat for movies, they are one of the few headphones I have owned that can provide the HT-like LFE while maintaining a decent midrange for dialogue reproduction. Unfortunately if you are talking competitive gaming you will not want an abundance of bass, it overwhelms the other more important elements. I've used everything from an HD800 to a D5000 for both and given the need for closed phones under $200 you will be limited. The D2000 or A900 will probably be best. I really liked the Senn PC350 for gaming, used with a mixamp they were pretty awesome but lacked the low end umph for movies.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Ok it looks as though my AVR does not support any sort of surround processing while headphones are connected. :frowning2:

The Onkyo TX-SR608 comes with the latest Dolby processor (Dolby PLIIz), so there might be some limited headphone surround sound processing.
I myself switched over from an Onkyo TX-SR706B to the Yamaha RX-V671 just because Yamaha's come standard with headphone surround sound.
Not sure the Yamaha made that much of a difference.
Receivers seem to come with a high impedance at the headphone jack,
so try not to get a headphone with a really low Ohm rating.
(Like the Denon AH-Ds or Audio Technica A900, A700X or A900X).

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 18
According to my receiver's manual it basically says as soon as you plug in headphones it'll switch to either stereo, mono, or direct (which is still stereo).

I will most likely be doing more movies/TV but for gaming it's almost exclusively single player (so nothing competitive).

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 18
The Pro versions have wider soundstage, and the HFI versions more bass quantity. I have used the HFI-580 and the pro550. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back