Need suggestions for over-the-ear headphones
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

serknor

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones with some of this qualities:

1) Looks:
I'd prefer headbands that are almost perfectly round like the ones in the photo below. Shallow ear pads would be nice, too, but not a must.
84001762-front-view-portrait-of-a-happy-boy-listening-to-music-holding-a-smart-phone-and-walking-on-the-stree.jpg

2) Wired. It can have bluetooth, but I need to use it with cable.

3) Active noise cancellation. If it doesn't have a hum or hiss sound, better.

4) Comfortable

5) Under a 100 usd

(Optional: built-in mic)

I know I might be asking too much. But I want something that can fit to this criteria, at least at some extent, without being perfect at it.

Do you have any suggestion for me? Any tip would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Yes its asking to much, up your budget 10 fold

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes its asking to much, up your budget 10 fold

Sorry, it's not that I'm cheap. The thing is that I'm from a country where buying in usd and importing is really expensive. I need this for work, I'm not an audiophile. My workplace doesn't provide them, so i'm not willing to use a lot of my salary for them.

Any other tip would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 6
There are VERY FEW headphones that offer noise canceling and without power options (no noise canceling mode via cable). If you up your budget by 3x, Sony XM3 will fit your bill and some Sennheiser noise canceling headphones. If you remove "no power requirement", then you will have many more options.

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 6
There are VERY FEW headphones that offer noise canceling and without power options (no noise canceling mode via cable). If you up your budget by 3x, Sony XM3 will fit your bill and some Sennheiser noise canceling headphones. If you remove "no power requirement", then you will have many more options.

Thanks for the info! I will check those. Ok, didn't know about that limitation. I will edit the needed features. Can you suggest some without considering the "no power" requirement?

Thank you very much!

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Noise canceling headphones typically require electric powers to work with reasonably thick earpads to provide sound isolation. They typically need small microphones to pick up external noise, then inject the noise in opposite phase to cancel out the noise in certain frequencies. They also rely on good isolating earpads to isolate certain frequencies that cannot be easily canceled with active noise cancellation. When you asked for bypass circuitry (=no power via wire), it will add extra complication and extra hardware (mostly for maximum flexibility and/or sound quality) that equates to more money. If you can up your budget, you can get Bose QC 25 that offers OK sound and pretty good noise canceling performance (around $129-$150 from Amazon), but it needs power (1 AAA battery).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back