Need suggestions for closed headphone for games and movies on a retina macbook pro
Nov 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dredd67

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, first post for me on this very nice forum (I hope I don't break any rules by posting here).

The title says it: I'm searching a headphone (maybe headset but  I don't care too much about the mic) for essentially playing games (no competition) and watching movies, and the main source will be a retina macbook pro.

I'm a total noob in the headphone world, but spent a huge amount of time reading reviews, round-ups and guides.

To be a little more specific about what I'm searching for:

- Budget around 200 Euros (yes € and not $, bear this in mind, I'm from France and the market isn't really the same, some cans just aren't available here).
- Closed headphones, or maybe half open if and only if the sound leakage is minimal -> my wife would kill me otherwise.
- I don't plan to use any external amp/dac whatsoever, I would like to keep it simple.
- I'm not really a basshead but I enjoy good explosions.

Occasionnaly I listen to music, but my main source for that would be my car (having a bose setup inside, it's an Audi A3, so you know where I'm coming from). The genres I listen to ranges from Electronic, Alternative, Soundtracks and even celtic music. Yeah, quite wide.

I've read Mad Lust Envy's guide and found it very instructive. But I'm still lost.

With the needs I have, I just can't find what would suit me the best. I understood that for gaming I need a good soundstage, and for movies something that's not too flat. I've also axed my hopes of surround sound which seems quite complicated to obtain on a macbook pro, even if I'll use bootcamp for games.

From what I've read, the Beyer DT770 Pro 80 ohm would be nice, or the Denon 2000 but those are just impossible to find in Europe. I've also looked for the akg k550
 and they seem good too, but a bit over my budget. I've finally lurked around the gaming headsets (astro and al.) but again, they all seem to have trouble with macs.

So, for all of you Grand Poobahs of the Head-Fi world, could you please help me ?

PS: the only "good" headphones I've tried in a shop were the Focal Spirit One and the Bose AE2, and both sounded very overpriced for the quality I got with them.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Heya,

AKG K550                          232 euros
AKG K167                          Not found
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm    150 euros
Ultrasone PRO 750              280 euros
Sennheiser HD380 PRO       115 euros
Shure SRH840                     196 euros (ships in 1-2 months !)
Brainwavz HM5                    Not found
AudioTechnica A900X           349 euros
AudioTechnica A700X           219 euros

Very best,

Thanks !

I've added Amazon.fr's prices for information. I bet you must be astonished by the differences... (NB: 1 € = 1.27 $). 
Anyway, this means I'm now down to these models to stay within my budget:

- Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm    150 euros
- AKG K550                          232 euros

Between these three, which are the more versatile ?

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Thanks !

I've added Amazon.fr's prices for information. I bet you must be astonished by the differences... (NB: 1 € = 1.27 $). 
Anyway, this means I'm now down to these models to stay within my budget:

- Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm    150 euros
- AKG K550                          232 euros

Between these three, which are the more versatile ?

Heya,

All three are very versatile and cover all genres. The DT770 is warmer with bright treble, great sound stage, very comfortable, very good build quality (durable). The A700X is a warm neutral, not very bassy, not overly bright, build quality is ok and comfort is ok (pleather pads). K550 is a very neutral, dry sound, very reference sounding, well built, good sound stage, big cups.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Perfect ! Thanks for the precious info.

I think I'll go with the DT770. This should save me some bucks, and maybe perhaps later on, add a dedicated device to get the most out of it.

Best regards.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Perfect ! Thanks for the precious info.

I think I'll go with the DT770. This should save me some bucks, and maybe perhaps later on, add a dedicated device to get the most out of it.

Best regards.

If you're budget can include it, I would suggest trying to get a Fiio E10 (usb dac/amp). The 80ohm of the DT770 should be ok on your laptop, but it does benefit from a little amplification.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

If you're budget can include it, I would suggest trying to get a Fiio E10 (usb dac/amp). The 80ohm of the DT770 should be ok on your laptop, but it does benefit from a little amplification.

Very best,

I've just read some reviews on it, seems very good for the price. I'll start with the DT770 alone and see (hear !) how it sounds on my macbook which seems to already have a very good output. If I feel the need for more oomph, I'll definitely give the fiio e10 a try. Thanks !

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
 which seems to already have a very good output

Heya,

And you're saying this in reference to what? What have you tested the internal workings with headphone wise?

The 80ohm Beyers are going to be better with an amplifier behind them. You may want to consider that.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi Dredd,

just for your information, you can find the akg k550 for 177€ + 10€ (delivery to france) on thomann.de
i just received mine few days ago and they are... wonderful (bass/mids/trebles)
i use it with either a small sansa clip mp3 player, or a yulong U100 dac/headphone amp and also with the combination of a standalone dac (HRT streamer II +) with a schiit asgard headphone amp
i quickly performed a comparison with my beyer DT880 32ohms and my Sennheiser PX100 II and it's another fantastic headphone for sure

hope it'll help !

richard (located in brittany, France
wink_face.gif
)

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Hi Dredd,

just for your information, you can find the akg k550 for 177€ + 10€ (delivery to france) on thomann.de
i just received mine few days ago and they are... wonderful (bass/mids/trebles)
i use it with either a small sansa clip mp3 player, or a yulong U100 dac/headphone amp and also with the combination of a standalone dac (HRT streamer II +) with a schiit asgard headphone amp
i quickly performed a comparison with my beyer DT880 32ohms and my Sennheiser PX100 II and it's another fantastic headphone for sure

hope it'll help !

richard (located in brittany, France
wink_face.gif
)

Now that's a very good website ! I can't believe the prices, especially considering amazon was always very competitive !

Regarding the dac/amps you use, you've lost me on that, I'm not yet ready, too noob :)

Thanks for the tip ! I will definitely consider buying there, since they have almost all the headphones cited here.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 13
OK I've settled my mind, so I just let you know:

I'm going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro LE from Thomann.de at the whopping price of 205 euros with shipping. 

The LE edition looks great, is a 32 Ohm version (easier to drive), has a shorter cable (1.5m) which is a plus for me as I don't need more, has a great soundstage with added depth, and has more bass than the AKG 550, but a tad less than the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm.

I'm so excited, I hope I won't be disappointed but I'm pretty sure it will be perfect.

Thanks again for your help and precious advices, both of you :)

Cheers from France.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 13
Just ot let you know, I've ordered the DT 770 Pro LE, and it should arrive next week. Don't know yet if I'll open the box as soon as it arrives or wait till xmas...

Anyway, for those who are interested I might do a quick review of this headphone. I mean, a total noobish review from an absolute newcomer in this field :wink: -  I'll also add impressions on how it runs with my devices, laptop, iphone, TV or whatever that accepts a 3.5mm jack cable. 

This, only if you're interested... so let me know fellow community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back