Need suggestions for best bang for my buck?
Nov 12, 2005 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CleanTunes

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of headphones that will sound the best for the following requirements:

Music type: R&B, alternative, rock & hip hop

Source: iPod Nano

Amp: No amp for now, but may consider PA2V2 or Go-vibe in the future

Sound preference: Mids & Highs are far more important to me than lows.

Can you suggest which cans would work well for me under $220 retail by Grado, Alessandro, Senn, AudioTechnica?

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 9
No amp and rock??
Grado all the way.
Unfortunatley you just missed the limited HF-1 boat ( a modded sr-225 for $200!)
I would check the for sale boards, ive seen a couple up there...
If you can grab one, take it, no questions asked.
The next best thing for you is the sr-225, also $200.
Grados run beautifully with Pa2v2's, although I dont find it necessary.

Im a hardcore Grado fan...but just to be fair to you, you may want to look into some Beyerdynamics as well. I hear the dt990 is alot of fun.
Really the best advice for you is to go to your local hi-fi store and tyr for yourself.
just make sure you bring some cds of your favorite music with you, and ask the store guy how long the heaphones you are going to be trying have been running for. Burn-in can really affect the end result.

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 9
The best deal right now might be the DT-880, which is regarded as possibly the best headphones on the market below $1000, but they might not be satisfying with lower frequencies compared to the 600/ 650.

Used HD600s are also very cheap ($200 or below).

New HD580s are around $120-140.

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CleanTunes
I'm looking for a set of headphones that will sound the best for the following requirements:

Music type: R&B, alternative, rock & hip hop

Source: iPod Nano

Amp: No amp for now, but may consider PA2V2 or Go-vibe in the future

Sound preference: Mids & Highs are far more important to me than lows.

Can you suggest which cans would work well for me under $220 retail by Grado, Alessandro, Senn, AudioTechnica?

one more thing:
would you say youre looking more for a "laid back" sound or more of an "aggressive" forward sound?
I find most Senns to be the former, with the exception MAYBE of the hd595's.
However, to their credit, they do have solid soundstage.
If you want a more forward sound (on the stage), then grado is for you...especially in the mids and highs.

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
one more thing:
would you say youre looking more for a "laid back" sound or more of an "aggressive" forward sound?
I find most Senns to be the former, with the exception MAYBE of the hd595's.
However, to their credit, they do have solid soundstage.
If you want a more forward sound (on the stage), then grado is for you...especially in the mids and highs.

kwitel:

I would say that I'm looking for more of a forward type of sound...so I guess the grado would be a suitable choice. Besides rock music, would it also perform well for the other styles of music I mentioned above?

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CleanTunes
kwitel:

I would say that I'm looking for more of a forward type of sound...so I guess the grado would be a suitable choice. Besides rock music, would it also perform well for the other styles of music I mentioned above?

Grado would be more than a suitable choice...a little enthusiasm please!
icon10.gif

I listen to alot of Classical on my sr-80's and love the sound. That should tell you a bit about their range...
Ive got Sade going as I type...and I was listening to the Roots "Illadelph" before...and yesterday Pink Floyd for about 2 hours straight- theres nothing Grados cant handle.
My condolences for your wallet, you have no idea what your getting yourself into...

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 9
disregard

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 9
How bout some alessandro ms1's? - *Alessandros=made by grado*
They can be had for $100usd with shipping included I think. I've heard its a great bang-for-buck headphone. I know I was torn between ms1's and sr60's when wanting to purchase, but went with the sr60's. From what I've been hearing the ms1's are superior to the sr60's but don't know about the sr80's.

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by c.you
How bout some alessandro ms1's? - *Alessandros=made by grado*
They can be had for $100usd with shipping included I think. I've heard its a great bang-for-buck headphone. I know I was torn between ms1's and sr60's when wanting to purchase, but went with the sr60's. From what I've been hearing the ms1's are superior to the sr60's but don't know about the sr80's.

Good can-but you said you can spend up to $220.
The sr-225s' or, better yet, the HF-1 are going to be superior, hence the increase in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back