Need suggestions - combo CD-ROM/DVD burner drive
Jul 7, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
I am considering getting a new optical drive for my computer. I would like to use the DVD burner for back ups, and will be using the CD-ROM primarily for listening to redbook CDs. Are all such drives pretty much created equal, or is there a particular brand that is considered more "musical" than others?

I know "bits are bits" but I would like to get a drive that is quiet, "muscial," doesn't make coasters, etc. I don't really want to spend more than about $80, if that is possible.

Holly

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Look and see if you can find a plextor for that price. I have a sony dvd burner and its a pos. Coasters, lock ups and other wacky issues made me buy a plextor dvd writer which works wonderfully and has much faster access times than the slow poke sony.

I can't say anything about its audio reading abilities since i don't have a rig built around it, but the plextor i use, PX-716SA?, works great overall and i highly recommend the brand.

I'm sure there's others out there, but i don't know how they compare. Look into Lite-On and NEC drives as well.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks gloco - I will certainly avoid the Sony drives. I, too, have heard good things about the Plextor drives but they may be a bit too expensive for me - they are usually in the $100 range from what I have seen. I will look into all 3 brands you recommend.

Holly

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 15
I think I've narrowed it down to the Lite-On SOHW-1693S or the NEC ND-3520A. The specs seem about the same, but the Lite-On has a slight edge because because it comes bundled with Nero.... I have an older version of Nero for my current CD-RW and like it, so an upgrade is appealing.

I'd love to get the Plextor PX-740A, but it costs about $35 more than the other two, and I can't justify that - even though I like my current Plextor drive.

Holly

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106988

16X DVD burner for 50 bucks. Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 15
I second Mr. Radar's suggestion of Lite-On for CD-Rom and NEC for DVD burner. I had a Lite-On LDW-401S burner that gave me so much trouble that I have pretty much decided to give up on Lite-On when it comes to DVD burning. On the other hand I have had good experience with NEC DVD burners. Another DVD burner that is popular is BenQ DW1620, also available from NewEgg in black for $49 (including shipping) with Nero burning software:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827101639
Or you can get the grey one
biggrin.gif
without software for $41 (including shipping):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827101645

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 15
The BenQ drive is definitely appealing - and it comes with a couple of packages of DVD-R and CD-R discs, too, which is a plus. Anyone have opinions about the BenQ drives as opposed to NEC or Lite-On?

Holly

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 15
I've had real good luck with NEC drives. I've used Plextor as well and always been happy but I think NEC gives you very comprable quality for a lot less money.

I'd take either one over Ben-Q or Lite On. Lite On generally has a pretty good rep, but I had one of their drives crap out on me and I've stayed away since.

Be careful about the media you burn with too. All those discs are far from equal!

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 15
My MB died recently and decided to get into the 21st century. (yah,I have usb 2.0 and 512megs now)
I bought the cheapest dvd burner I could find at newegg, the optorite 1603.
so far so good, I recorded ECW one night stand, the tyson fight and backed up my PC on dvd. no problems yet.

I just checked newegg, it's even cheaper now at $40 plus free shipping.

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 15
IIRC the PX-740 isn't anything particularly great, relabeled Philips or somesuch. Personally I've been quite happy with my trusty LG GSA-4040B so would probably consider another LG. The only thing I didn't like about it was that you can't throttle down the speed with an audio CD inserted - but hey, those get ripped to harddisk anyway, so no noise thereafter. Speaking of noise, this is quite moderate even at 32x CD speed, and at 16x CD speed (or 6x DVD) or lower it's inaudible over the rest of my rather quiet comp. (Not too shabby.) Sure beats the old 48X jet engine in my second comp.

I agree that media choice is very important. Currently I'm using a mix of Plextor 8X +R and -R discs, both of which are rebranded Taiyo Yuden and thus of very good quality. The current 16X -R Verbatims (I tried the printable ones) also are very good, I only ditched them after the first pack because they can only be written to at 2x speed in my "antique" (whereas the -R Plextors happily burn at either 2X or 4X and the +R Plextors at 4x only).

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 15
I never had any problems with my sony dvd burner. But I also have a Plextor dual layer, which rocks the house for ripping purposes.

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 15
Well, I ended up going with the BenQ drive, after reading some positive reviews at CDFreaks. I hope the CD playback is at least as good as that from my current Plextor drive. I'll let you know later this week.

Holly

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 15
The drive should be there when I arrive home today. If all goes well, I will get it installed and at least find out how it plays CDs - I won't have time to try any recording, etc., until this weekend (maybe!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back