Need speakers/sub + amp for my music system...
Jul 15, 2007 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SCOTTBALL

Head-Fier
Hello, ok i want a good audio solution
i will be running the speakers/sub through the amp, which will be from my computer. (another point - this is possible right?)

currently it will be running from my laptop's indigo DJ line out, but in the future i will probably be running it from my PC and external DAC

so my files are mostly mp3 files (mostly VBR, the occasional ones are CBR)
i'm looking for good clear sound, with strong bass from the sub-
i listen to alot of dance music, and other music ranging mainly from drum&bass, happy hardcore, and most other electronica. but i also listen to a huge variety of music including general stuff such as RnB, Hip Hop, swing, soul, orchestral, j-pop, computer game music, some rock, etc
This info is just incase the types of speakers matter depending on my music tastes =) but hopefully the speakers should be good enough to accomodate for all of them..

my budget is about £350 for it all

the room(s) for them will not be extremly big, probably quite small so im not really looking for speakers that will fill a large area

I like the music loud and clear- will a 2.1 setup be ok do you think? I have no idea where to start or what to look for in terms of the components though..

i dont know wether to get a set of speakers with good subs in them, or wether it will be worth the money to get a seperate sub..
will i notice a large sound difference with a seperate sub? i do like my base a lot..

can anyone recomend me some speakers/sub/amp in this price range? i hope you can help! thanks!

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 18
ok, it seems like a lot of people are recomending the AV123 X-LS bookshelf speakers
if i got those would i be right thinking i would need a seperate sub to get the SQ i want? and then would those speakers be efficient at delivering just the highs/mids with the woofer giving the lows?

if i went for just speakers with no sub (remember quite small room) will i just need bigger speakers? Im not planning to use headphones by the way =)

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 18
For your setup, budget, and music tastes, I'd advise sticking with a set of computer speakers for now. They'll give you the SQ you want without the necessity of buying an amplifier, speakers, and subwoofer separately. Plus, they'll cost less.

I recommend the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 18
Klipsch's website says those ProMedias are 120V only, which probably won't work for the OP since he quoted his budget in £.

Something like the Swans M-200 might be suitable.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 18
swans will not really play loud. for a compact solution that fits budget, consider a used active proaudio monitor from the US, maybe ebay, where you can get double the monitor for your sterling (less shipping.)

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 18
im really trying to stay away from computer speakers because i really dont think the SQ is good enough for me- im guessing my budget should be ok? £350 is roughly about $700 (maybe willing to spend a bit more if needed)

would something like the Swans M-200 really give the power and SQ i want? it doesn't look like really what im after.. i think going for more of very good- slightly high end stuff - since i also want to try and keep this setup for a while

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 18
Look on audiogon. I am certain you can find some local bloke who has some bookshelves. As far as amps I can't help you b/c I am a yank but I know Tannoy is both a U.K. brand and affordable especially used. They have musical, warm speakers which do well with PC digital sound.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 18
cool thanks i'll check it out

so really ive just gotta go test out all the speakers right? what sort of specs should i be looking at? I am just worried that without a seperate sub i won't get that powerful destroying bass i'm looking for (but remember my room is small so the bass doesn't need to fill up a huge area =)

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 18
yeah the cambridge would be a good choice. I hear that the Panasonic is like $500 over the pond which is $300 more than over here in the states. I think Tannoy would have some good 2.1 options for you. In a small room, you really only need the very smallest sub. I have a 6.5" sub in my room and it does the job great. Mind you, it was part of a $1000 5.1 system lol.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 18
hmmmm ok here is my concern- i am wondering how the bass quality will differ between a 2.0 and a 2.1 system
i will probably be able to get much better speakers if i go 2.0 since speakers_sub will take alot of my budget for 2.1
but will good 2.0 speakers have a good clear (unmixing) bass?

I guess i will try and find a few hifi stores to try out the speakers and stuff.
also spacemanspliff, which panasonic amp is it that you recommended?

and also.. hmm i guess something liek 12" subs would be too overwhelming for my small room? XD not in terms of loudness but in terms of SQ
would this be the same situation with floor standing speakers? (poor SQ because of small room?)

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some B&W 805 clones:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/AURALECSTASY.html

on sale now for $599 with the sub. Paul offer great values and is honest. I have a version of these and the soundstage makes the speakers disappear.

I am very interested in these speakers. Would you please provide more info about the sound? Thanks.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 18
hmmm i am living in England (London) so i guess my options are somewhat limited by your suggestions because i see most of you are US based =(

In that case, i guess i will have to look around, but what should i be looking for? the db/watt value? around 95 or something?

And about 7" speaker with 1" tweeter?

im guessing i won't really need a sub.. I guess once i get a really good set of speakers i can search for a suitable amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back