Need something smaller and more efficient than my Grado SR-60's
Jul 17, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 8
mingus---

the Kosses are all less efficient than the Grado if by efficient you mean easily driven. the grados and the Beyer all have 32 ohm impedances and the Kosses are 60 ohms. If your laptop can't drive 32 ohm cans, you have a tough problem. You'll need either a headphone amp or phones with an even lower impedance.

what exactly is the perceived problem with the SR60s? Is this an issue of sensitivity rather than impedance? what is the sonic nature of your complaint? I've never tried headphones with a laptop, but even my SB soundcard can drive low impedance cans like the SR60s adequately...

confused.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 8
What about cheapo earbuds? Or a new laptop...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Jul 17, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 8
Dood! You got a Dell!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can't think of a single laptop which can't drive a pair of Grados... Certainly not a decent laptop at any rate.

The Koss's MAY be more usable. They have higher impedance but more efficient drivers. These really would be your only option if you wanted anything other than, say, eggos or earphones - or the V700DJ of course
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Turns out it's just Power DVD. Audio CDs are fine - Not the sort of thing I'd want to do any serious listening on tho. Not real musical. Must be some sort of setting in Power DVD that isn't right. It's a Fujutsu S6010 w/Intel 830 chipset Says: AC97 SigmaTeL Codec. Will try to figure out why PowerDVD volume is so low. Would still like to find a small set of cans to carry. if the Koss are way more efficient even with the higher impedance I should be ok?

Jul 17, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back