Need something similar to AKG K240
Oct 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tom White

New Head-Fier
I have an AKG K240 that I really enjoy, but they are not very "portable" at all. So I am asking for suggestions on a more portable set of headphones that would sound similar to what I have. I want them to be open phones. No iems or buds. On ear would be fine
I did do a search on this, but most threads were old and pointed towards phones that are not around anymore. I am not tied to them being AKGs, but I do like that sound. Almost forgot - they should cost about $50 or less.

Any ideas?

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 13
Maybe look for the newer versions of them, is the portablility thing about driving capability or size? The new ones are quite a lot lower ohms ~56 I think instead of your 600 ohms there.
Maybe something will show up used in good shape with one of those.
At least this way it may be similar sound.
if it's size there may be a smaller AKG current semi-open to open alternative also.
You already know the sound you are after is AKG-ish which is more than most can say in here.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 13
Nick n - Actually, mine are the 55 ohm version.

Yes, it is primarily the size that is the problem. I want something more convenient for when I'm walking around my acreage. Open back for the illusion of the sound coming from outside of my ears.

As to the price - I just figure that since the 240's only cost me about $60 or so, I should be able to find similar portables for close to the same cost. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Headzone - It appears the 141's are about the same size as the 240's. They also cost $100 on Amazon, so that is about double what I want to spend. Thanks for trying to help, though.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Can't remember any open portable models right now. Expect for the usual Portapros and PX100's.

Most portable headphones are some lifestyle consumer crap****. And they don't sound like the K240 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 13
I had a pair of PortaPros for a while. The main thing I remember about them is wearing them outside, listening to some acoustic + vocal music, and feeling like I was walking through the middle of a movie music soundtrack. Very "outside the ear" experience.

Heck, maybe I'll just get another pair of those. They don't sound close to the AKG's, but they are cheap enough.

The only inexpensive, open portable AKG's I've seen on amazon are the K420's, and many have said they are not comfortable.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 13
I don't think you will find anything that will meet all your requirements , here are a couple I would consider

Grado. 60. Slightly above your price line and will be brighter however far superior to the porta pros. They will be larger than the porta pros but much smaller than the 240.

I am not familiar with the k420 mentioned, but would suggest the akg q460. They are closed, but the size of the porta pro. These are by far my favorite walking the dog phones

If it matters I listen to about 40% jazz and Most of the rest is classic rock and electric blues

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the input, Hoagie. I'll check out the AKG's you mentioned. The Grados are definitely out. I've tried Grados a couple times, and absolutely HATE them. To me, they are the worst sounding things I've ever tried.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 13
I would get a pair of PortaPros and a pair of KSC75s.  Unclip the drivers from both and swap headband/clips over.  The earclips of the KSC75s give a bit more distance from the ears, thus remedying the slightly bloated bass of the PortaPros and conversly, the PortaPro headband pushes the KSC75 drives closer to the ear, giving them the extra low end response they need to balance that lovely top end of their's.  I reckon you could get both pairs for $50 if you shopped around!  Good luck!

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 13
....Lifetime replacement warranty too, of course.  The perfect portable deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back