Need someone to explain this 'impedance' issue i have to me in 'audiophile for dummies' method
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
I have the AK100 and we all know it has an output impedance of 22. Based on what I read I would need to have a higher impedance IEM or send the Ak100 to be modded. Here's the issue, I want to buy the Eytomic ER4S but i notice that you can make the ER4PT into the ER4S with the optional adapter. In sense it's converting a 27 ohm IEM into a 100 ohm IEM. why can't I just buy the adapter and use whatever IEM I have with the AK100? Won't that technically work? 

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 11
use a search button:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

post 12 says: you will need at least 1/8 ratio (impedance of amp/impedance of headphones), or distortion will hunt you.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 11
  I have the AK100 and we all know it has an output impedance of 22. Based on what I read I would need to have a higher impedance IEM or send the Ak100 to be modded. Here's the issue, I want to buy the Eytomic ER4S but i notice that you can make the ER4PT into the ER4S with the optional adapter. In sense it's converting a 27 ohm IEM into a 100 ohm IEM. why can't I just buy the adapter and use whatever IEM I have with the AK100? Won't that technically work? 

For my 2cents I would forget about it , if you wanted to run a 12 inch p.a at 100db then certainly impedance matching will be a concern
Running IEM at a fraction of a watt not so much , some will be affected others wont and some will sound better some worse
Take a long read on the AK thread and see what people like
You wont harm anything running a IEM of even less than 22 Ohms
Having said all that I think the ER4S is still one of the best

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 11
The P to S adapter basically 'adds output impedance'. That's why it changes ('distorts') the ER4P sound into the ER4S sound (note that 'distortion' here does not mean it sounds worse, just different).

Using the adapter with the AK100 would do the opposite of what you want - it would make the output impedance increase to almost 100 ohms.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 11
The problem is that I have the shure 425 and it doesn't sound that good with the ak100 even though its a recommended pairing. The 425 has a impedance of 22. I was hoping that the adapter would increase the resistance to my iem sparing me from buying a newer pair of headphones.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 11
I spoke with someone at etymotic and they say that the adapter will increase the ohm of the iem and not the source.

I will send you a link via PM which will explain very well for you.

Please check your inbox soon.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 11
Keep in mind that adding resistance to your cable can also alter the sound characteristics of the driver (and thus your headphones).  A graph of impedance vs frequency will show you how sensitive it is to change.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back