Need some suggestions
Nov 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

impetus2

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and it seems pretty awesome. I was asking a friend about some headphone suggestions and he linked me this site. I don't know that much about headphones or amps but I'm looking to buy a pair and I could really use some recommendations. I like to play games and listen to heavy music, mostly metal. I have a $400 budget but I can spend more I'll just have to wait a few weeks. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 and they seem pretty good. Would the HD 600 really be that much better and worth the extra $200? And would I need an amp for the HD 598 or just the HD 600? Thanks guys. :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and it seems pretty awesome. I was asking a friend about some headphone suggestions and he linked me this site. I don't know that much about headphones or amps but I'm looking to buy a pair and I could really use some recommendations. I like to play games and listen to heavy music, mostly metal. I have a $400 budget but I can spend more I'll just have to wait a few weeks. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 and they seem pretty good. Would the HD 600 really be that much better and worth the extra $200? And would I need an amp for the HD 598 or just the HD 600? Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

Maybe try and describe more about what you're looking to achieve.

Listening at home only? Or do you need portability?
Are open air headphones ok (ie, is leaking sound in and out ok)? Or do you need closed headphones for privacy (isolation)?
What is your source? PC? Phone? Digital player of some kind (ipod, etc)? If from the PC, what sound card? Or is it just the motherboard? Be specific with model names/numbers if this applies.
What kind of sound signature do you prefer? Ie, think do you want neutral/flat, or do you like it warmer, more bass? Is bright treble good or would you rather it be less bright?
Is your $400 budget just for the headphone, or is it for the complete setup (because some headphones would be better, or require, an amplifier)?

Very best,

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm going to be using them at home and open air is okay. Source is gonna be my PC and my sound card is a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro but I'm willing to replace it. My budget is flexible so I can spend $500 or $600 total if it ends up costing that much. Sound signature isn't too important as long as it has some bass. Thanks :D

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Heya,

Here's some options then:

Hifiman HE-400 with a Fiio E9  or JDS Labs O2 amplifier

Beyer DT990 PRO (250ohm) with a Fiio E10 (DAC/AMP), or JDS Labs O2 amplifier

Ultrasone PRO 2900 with a Fiio E10 (DAC/AMP), or JDS Labs O2 amplifier

If unwilling to use an external DAC/AMP, consider getting a Xonar STX soundcard so that it has an onboard amplifier with plenty of output potential.

Very bset,

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Heya,

Here's some options then:

Hifiman HE-400 with a Fiio E9  or JDS Labs O2 amplifier

Beyer DT990 PRO (250ohm) with a Fiio E10 (DAC/AMP), or JDS Labs O2 amplifier

Ultrasone PRO 2900 with a Fiio E10 (DAC/AMP), or JDS Labs O2 amplifier

If unwilling to use an external DAC/AMP, consider getting a Xonar STX soundcard so that it has an onboard amplifier with plenty of output potential.

Very bset,

I think you would get the most out of the first setup. The he-400 is amazing for gaming IMO. With the E9 or 02 the headphones will shine and you can still connect your soundcard to the amp for gaming 3d sound software. HE-400s are my go to headphones along with my d5000s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back