Need some suggestions on IEMs at or near $100 without heavy bass
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

starbux48

100+ Head-Fier
I used to own some Etymotic ER-6is that I liked but doing more research this time.  If possible would like to keep $$ under $100, but could maybe go a little over that.  Been reading about several IEMs including:  Phiaton, Beyer Dynamic, Audeo, Klipsch, Sennheiser, Shure, and (above my budget) Future Sonics.

I do not listen to any style of music where I desire an ever present, overbearing bass sound.  Oh, have some Scosche IDR655's now and they have way too much bass.

Listen to classical, jazz instrumentals & vocals, folk, acoustic, celtic, and some Christian rock like Third Day.

I think I prefer what may be called accurate?  Would like as wide a soundstage as I can get.  Oh, listen a lot to lossless files, some cd's, and online radio.

The Future Sonics are a real stretch at around $150+, but have seen lots at or under $100, so many my head is spinning.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Sorry no on has replied to this so far.  Anyway, the Ety MC5 is a nice phone and might be a little bit of an upgrade to the ER6i.  Hifiman RE0 is a fantastic phone with details and incredibly smooth and extended treble, a fairly rare combination.  Combined with a decent amp, they will have very full sound.  Without an amp, the Sunrise Xcape is a great phone similar to the RE0, but a little fuller, but a bit less treble extension.

If you can stretch up to about $125, the Ety HF5 is a fantastic earphone which I can guarantee is a good bit clearer and better than the MC5, well-worth the extra $$.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Hmm. Have been reading about the Ety HF5's.  B&H Photo in NYC has them now for only $99.  One other one I found one review of was a BeyerDynamic DTX 80.  Price from them direct only $50.  They were awarded WhatHiFi 2010 best headphones between $80 and $125 and look great too.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 9
HEAD-DIRECT RE0 would probably be perfect for you. Best sounding <$100 IEM's if you dont care for exaggerated bass. Seriously, i would just stop looking and buy the RE0's.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 9
if you consider sunrise xcape, make sure to get version 1's and not version 2.  Have read V2 is not as clear as V1. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 9
You're already used to how Etymotics fit, so I think you would be very happy with the MC5, which IMHO is a real bargain. They have a well-balanced, natural sound and mine are proving to be quite durable, given that they spend much of their time jammed into their small pouch along with my iPod Nano, and then crammed into a pocket.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 9
I just got Audeo (now I'm using it with black filters). Look into it, I've listned to it for about 1-2hrs and they're Really enjoyable (not in V-shaped FR maner). Read about them from people more experienced in describing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back