Need some suggestions... Feel free to help!
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

starcraft2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I will be moving to my new house and I will have more space for my system. This will be placed in my living room.
Since I plan to upgrade it I am looking for new, clean, and good sounding options.

The audio gear I will keep will be:
- Audiolab 8000s
- Denon tuner (I really like it)
- Speaker stands (they are branded I just don't remember it)
- Macbook air as the main source for audio

What I will need:
- DAC or DAC/Headphone amp (maybe, just maybe. I am not a Can guy but I like the idea of having 2 or 3 pairs to use in the sofa as an alternative to the IEMs)
- New speakers for the stands (just 2.0) and for the Amp. I really need a good match. I prefer sound on the warm side. I think the Audiolab is pretty forward.

What I will sell:
- Current speakers
- Turn table

My budget is flexible but I would say that 1000 euros is more than enough. 300 euro DAC is probably enough.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi sc2,

Since you like warm sound, I would consider you are not a guy perusing absolute HIFI, but pursuing absolute melody :p That's what I think of "warm". I don't know why you are selling your turntable, but considering your budget for dac, I would recommend you to keep your turntable. As I have listened, most of the dacs under 1k sound fairly "digital" - or say "cold".  If you could give a bit more budget on dac, I suggest Lake People RS06 which should be to your liking :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi sc2,

Since you like warm sound, I would consider you are not a guy perusing absolute HIFI, but pursuing absolute melody :p That's what I think of "warm". I don't know why you are selling your turntable, but considering your budget for dac, I would recommend you to keep your turntable. As I have listened, most of the dacs under 1k sound fairly "digital" - or say "cold".  If you could give a bit more budget on dac, I suggest [COLOR=444444]Lake People RS06 which should be to your liking :)[/COLOR]

Hi Restia,

Thanks for your opinion.
My turntable was offered to me and it is not that great. I plan on getting a second and thorens or rega in the futurs.

Anyway I think the speakers will be more important than the dac dont you think? And yes I am not looking for absolute Hifi. I look for pleasure while listening. What I really like is the music not the equipment neighter its technical capacity.

Can you help me on the speakers?

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 5
I see. From the sets I have used, NAD C326BEE + PSB Imagine XB is the best for the cost. Some desktop speakers with small size are also worth to buy if you do not need large volume. They perform well in living room. I highly recommend eclipse td-m1. It's a bit pricy, but if you get a chance to listen to it, you'll like it.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 5
I see. From the sets I have used, NAD C326BEE + PSB Imagine XB is the best for the cost. Some desktop speakers with small size are also worth to buy if you do not need large volume. They perform well in living room. I highly recommend eclipse td-m1. It's a bit pricy, but if you get a chance to listen to it, you'll like it.

Maybe desktop speakers are too small for my living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back