Need some recommendations.
Oct 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hovis

New Head-Fier
I'm on the hunt for some headphones that will probably end up being my first serious purchase, they will be used as an all round pair of headphones.

So what I'm looking for is a pair of ON-EAR closed back headphones. I'll be using them at home as well as outdoors, so that's why I'd like to get closed back headphone. I don't want to hear people, and they probably don't want to hear my music. I'd also like them to be portable and comfortable, that's why I'd like a pair of on-ear headphones. I find IEMs uncomfortable and around-the-ear headphones are too much hassle to carry around.

I listen to a lot of different music, so I'd like a headphone that gives life to saxophones and guitars as well as being able to shake my brains with bass. Also maybe this is too much to ask, but I'd like a headphone with character. These monitor type headphones don't interest me.

Budget: £100. MAXIMUM. I know I can get the M80s for £135, but ideally I am looking for something in the £60 - £80 price range.

I don't currently own any amplifiers and I really want to avoid getting into all that, so "easy" to drive headphones are a bonus.

I currently own a handful of headphones and they all do specific things (and they do them well), but none of them do everything... which is what I'm looking for. Anyway what I own and my opinions of them are:

Grado SR60 - I enjoy them for listening to rock, indie and metal but when it comes to anything else I find them incredibly boring. Major problem with the Grados is that they are open-back, so I can't use them outdoors. I don't want to be hearing everyone's conversations on the bus while I'm listening to my music and they probably don't want to be listening to my music.

Sennheiser PC 350 - Originally bought just for gaming but ended up becoming the main headphones I pick up and listen to, after I did the ourfpshero's mod to them (link). However they are not at all portable. Even though they are great at playing most genres of music, the sound it produces is very... flat. They were designed for games, and the sound they produce is incredible for this, but it means music will never be energetic, or have character (I'm not sure how to describe it) when listening to these headphones.

Koss Porta Pro - The sound they produce is pretty much the complete opposite to the Grados. Strong bass, but misses all the details. Also open back so has the same problem: I don't want to hear everyone else and they don't want to hear my music thing.

Sennheiser CX 400 II - What I currently use while out and about. They may have strong bass and thus the sound they produce is muddy, but they bring a smile to my face whenever I listen to them. They definitely have character and add their own flair to the music they reproduce. However The Achilles Heel for me with these IEMs is that I do not enjoy the sensation of having something stuck in my ear... It's something I've been willing to put up with while out and about though, but I need a change.

If you've spent the time to read all of my post I am incredibly thankful and I'd love to hear what you think would be the right purchase for me. However for those of you that like to skip to the end:

TL;DR: Looking for on-ear, closed back headphones that can play many genres of music without giving up bass or treble performance. As well as being able to add their own character to the music they reproduce which will hopefully bring a smile to my face. Budget: £100 (MAXIMUM MAXIMUM MAXIMUM).

P.S. Maybe this is too much to ask for the price, but that's why I'm here, to find out what my options are.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 8
JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray), $76.99 (48 GBP), the Gunmetal Gray one is only sold & shipped from Japan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300788413563

You can get Velvet ear pads for them for $13.20 (8.25 GBP)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251161248306

Here is the Head-Fi thread dedicated to these headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 8
Those look fantastic. Great recommendation, thank you.

How do you think they would compare to the Sony MDR ZX600, which I've been looking at? They are a similar price.

EDIT: After reading the thread on the HA-S500s I think there is no competition between them and the ZX600... they are being compared to the M80s! 

I want to pull the trigger now and buy them haha! But I will wait to hear for other recommendations.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Well you want bass and good treble and on a budget so +1 on the S500. Although I advise against trying those velour pads. to me they make them shrill and reduce the bass by about 6db.

Prolly the best pad upgrade is that SJ5 pleather pad that you can find linked on that thread.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I'm on the hunt for some headphones that will probably end up being my first serious purchase, they will be used as an all round pair of headphones.

So what I'm looking for is a pair of ON-EAR closed back headphones. I'll be using them at home as well as outdoors, so that's why I'd like to get closed back headphone. I don't want to hear people, and they probably don't want to hear my music. I'd also like them to be portable and comfortable, that's why I'd like a pair of on-ear headphones. I find IEMs uncomfortable and around-the-ear headphones are too much hassle to carry around.

I listen to a lot of different music, so I'd like a headphone that gives life to saxophones and guitars as well as being able to shake my brains with bass. Also maybe this is too much to ask, but I'd like a headphone with character. These monitor type headphones don't interest me.

Budget: £100. MAXIMUM. I know I can get the M80s for £135, but ideally I am looking for something in the £60 - £80 price range.

If you've spent the time to read all of my post I am incredibly thankful and I'd love to hear what you think would be the right purchase for me. However for those of you that like to skip to the end:  
TL;DR: Looking for on-ear, closed back headphones that can play many genres of music without giving up bass or treble performance. As well as being able to add their own character to the music they reproduce which will hopefully bring a smile to my face. Budget: £100 (MAXIMUM MAXIMUM MAXIMUM).

P.S. Maybe this is too much to ask for the price, but that's why I'm here, to find out what my options are.

The Philips Cityscape Downtown fits your requirements very well.  The only issue may be a little too much "character"
smily_headphones1.gif
in the treble.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The Philips Cityscape Downtown fits your requirements very well.  The only issue may be a little too much "character"
smily_headphones1.gif
in the treble.

Those look super comfy, but I can't find any information about the sound quality. I'd rather get a headphone that is more bass orientated than treble orientated. So how do they perform in the bass area?

EDIT: I've read a couple of reviews and it looks like they have very good bass. The only downside for me is the way they look, but I'm taking them into consideration 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back