Need some recommendations for HD800s
Nov 5, 2017 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kin24173493

New Head-Fier
Hello guys I’m new in here. Currently I’m using Schiit Jotunheim for my HD800s. For better sound quality should I buy a DAC or I use Jotunheim as DAC and get a new amp. Thx.

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 6
jot dac is pretty good, no point to upgrade the dac.
tube amp will give you a better improvement.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello guys I’m new in here. Currently I’m using Schiit Jotunheim for my HD800s. For better sound quality should I buy a DAC or I use Jotunheim as DAC and get a new amp. Thx.
Is there something about the pairing you don’t like? I have yet to hear the Jot I think the only Schiit amp other than the new Magni3 that I haven’t heard yet and none with the 800’s . I prefer the 800’s with something warmer as I like them with a tube amp the most.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the Jot with DAC module and I didn't mind the pairing with the 800. I could tell it was a bit bright but honestly I appreciated the treble even more because I had heard the 800 treble is a killer, but in reality it sounds fine to me. If anything, my head shape caused most of the weight to be focused on one part of the headband and that bothered me more than the treble ever did.

Needless to say, the pairing won't be good if you're treble sensitive because the Jot is somewhat of a bright amp. For me, I found it detailed and enjoyable.

As for what you said about using the Jot as a DAC only, I don't quote understand that. The Jot with DAC module is 500 bucks and you can find a better DAC for that money. That being said, as a single unit, the Jot DAC is very good and doesn't really need to be upgraded IMO.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Currently I’m using Schiit Jotunheim for my HD800s. For better sound quality should I buy a DAC or I use Jotunheim as DAC and get a new amp. Thx.

You can't use the Jotunheim as a DAC for another headphoone amp since it only outputs via its variable preamplifier output, meaning you'll have two preamps on the same chain - the Jotunheim's and the other amp's.

If it's about the Jotunheim and HD800 scratching your ears out, maybe try a different DAC/HPamp that doesn't have its distortion pattern leaning towards brighter/harsher as the Jotunheim. Try the Violectric V200 with the DAC module, or save up and get the Meier DACcord FF and Classic FF. Either way even if you get planars later on you're pretty much set.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 6
My thoughts dac is duelling it out with a music server as the two most important parts of your system, outside HP. Buy the best dac and server possible, the amp is icing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back