Need some open headphones
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

coredump

500+ Head-Fier
So my wife says I tune her and everything else out when I wear my A700's. She is right of course but that's the idea. However we now have a little one on the way and I really need a pair of headphones that lets me hear whats going on around me. So here are my requirements/info.

Open Air
No Amp
$150 - $250
Good for gaming
I can hear people talking to me
music is mostly rock/pop/vocals
Connects to an X-Fi or iPod

The headphones that I believe will work best for me are probably the AD700 or the AD900. The AD900 are twice the price but I'm leaning towards them because I'm too vain for the gold and purple AD700. Are there any other headphones I should consider? I've decided the Grado line wont be good for gaming. I have the MS-1 and it performs poorly. The rear channel doesn't come across and positioning get weird.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 5
Well I have great suggestions for open headphones, but without an amp? Actually, there's some great lower-end headphones (like the HD555) that would suite your purpose pretty well, but are only in the $100 range. Have you thought about a pair of mid-range Grados?

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 5
I like my MS-1 real well for music but I've always heard Grado isn't good for gaming. Maybe open air in general isn't good for gaming but it's a sacrifice I will have to make. Maybe I would be better to save some money and get the AD700. My usage is about 60% gaming 40% music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back