Need some office IEMs, $100-150
May 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Souldriver

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.   So in my new job i do a lot of monitoring and im looking for some in ears as i do need to pop them out to talk to others often. My travel headphones are doing the job now but im often wearing them sideways. I though about open backs so i dont need to take them off to hesd but then others will hesr what im listening to, including my boss.

Right now im looking at the sennheiser momentum and shure 215. But would like more opinions.   Im looking for comfort as i will have to wear them for many hours, and a more neutral sound signature as ill have to wear them at work even at times when my head starts to pound.  

I will also state that i usually shy away from IEMs bc my ears tend to be sensative to pressure (especially after esr infections) but it seems there are some vented styles out there too

May 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 45
There's

Gr07 bass edition

Yamaha eph 100

Rha 750

And dunu dn 1000 but it's $180

May 11, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 45
How are all these for comfort and a sound signature?

I also do overnight shifts where anything overly aggresive can be straining. Ie: i love my ultrasone hfi 780s but at night they can be too much. That and i want something a little different sounding.

I was hoping for a more laid back and laid out ennheiser type sound in an iem i guess. Dont knowif the vent holes some iems use have anything to do with it.

So are the shures and their turquis se brothers now knocked off the top $100~ spot?

Unless its truely worth it i rather not spend more than $150 bc its used off a mac at work. Do suggest some a little higher bc theyre are always deals to be had.

May 12, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 45
yeah titan1 it is, the reviews boasting about a neutral sound and spacious soundstage got me. theyre also open so i hope they dont have a "heavy in my head" feel and its a little more laid back.

May 13, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 45
You can also use this guide http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

May 13, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 45
Don't get the shures if your ears are sensitive to pressure like you said. In fact, they can be pretty bad for your ears as the driver is sealed so that you have a sealed chamber into your ear canal, with no let out for air, which results in fluctuating pressure. Also they are not easy to quickly pop out and in. I can second that the Yamaha eph-100 are a good $100 pair. Great soundstage, respectable overall signature with a good sub-bass

May 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 45
i don't mess with that headphone list anymore.  i bought the wooduo2's based on the review on the list and they were horrible. 

How horrible?

May 13, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 45
yes.  most disappointed i've been with a headphone/iem purchase thus far.  i was in search for a good sounding bass IEM.  i read some good things about them so i bought some.  they had deep bass, but that's about it.  they had small soundstage, so-so separation, so-so highs....they sounded veiled overall.  i bought them as an upgrade for my Piston 2 and i thought my Piston 2 sounded better in just about every regard.  i tried lots of different tips.  i really wanted to like them.  they look pretty cool and were very compact. i ended up trading them for some creative aurvana 3 which sounded much better.  then the guy i traded them to also disliked them and tried to sell them pretty quick.  they sat on the sale board for a fair amount of time.    however,  i do understand all of this is subjective.  maybe the set i had was defective or something. 

but yes, for the money i spent on them, i felt it was a horrible purchase.  i believe i paid $75 if i recall correctly. 

May 13, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 45
yes.  most disappointed i've been with a headphone/iem purchase thus far.  i was in search for a good sounding bass IEM.  i read some good things about them so i bought some.  they had deep bass, but that's about it.  they had small soundstage, so-so separation, so-so highs....they sounded veiled overall.  i bought them as an upgrade for my Piston 2 and i thought my Piston 2 sounded better in just about every regard.  i tried lots of different tips.  i really wanted to like them.  they look pretty cool and were very compact. i ended up trading them for some creative aurvana 3 which sounded much better.  then the guy i traded them to also disliked them and tried to sell them pretty quick.  they sat on the sale board for a fair amount of time.    however,  i do understand all of this is subjective.  maybe the set i had was defective or something. 

but yes, for the money i spent on them, i felt it was a horrible purchase.  i believe i paid $75 if i recall correctly. 

Maybe you got a faulty pair? Did you burn them in?

May 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 45
they didn't seem faulty.  channels sounded balanced.  no crackles or pops.  they just didn't sound like $100 IEM of which they were selling for at the time.  other than the strong bass, they felt dull to me.  i'm not a big believer in burn in.  so no.  i put probably  20 hrs of listening time on them if i had to guess.

May 13, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 45
Yesh im going dunu titan1s. The notes on the big soundstage and relatively flat sound sig entices me and hopefully with the venting they will be easy on my ears and brain. Im just hoping the clarity doesnt make they sharp sounding, hoping they are a little more laid back.

May 13, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 45
Go with Shure SE215. If you want to use silicone tips, I suggest the Regular Edition. If you prefer Comply/Olive foam tips, try Special Editions. If based on SQ alone and considering you'll plug it j to your Mac, which to me is on thin side, go for the Regular Edition. It's great bass will do wonders in your Mac.

Re comfort, yeah it's less easy to install and unplug from your ears, but I find this nitpicking. How difficult is it to pull it from your ears?...lol...you just pull the tips, and push up the over-ear cable. That's it. Installing is simply hang the cable over, and then insert...lol

The Shure is the best dynamic driver I've heard. And it sounds the most natural and live sounding. Go for this. You won't be disappointed. Out of the box, it sounds a bit sibilant and edgy though, but 1 week of office use and it reaches its potential (no more edginess and more bass quantity and quality).

May 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 45
Yesh im going dunu titan1s. The notes on the big soundstage and relatively flat sound sig entices me and hopefully with the venting they will be easy on my ears and brain. Im just hoping the clarity doesnt make they sharp sounding, hoping they are a little more laid back.

Why would you want venting on an IEM? That would affect bass quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back