Need Some Nice Headphones
Jan 23, 2011 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WChanne

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first post.  I thought I'd start off by asking your opinions on something.  I'm in the market for some new over or around-ear headphones, and I was wondering what I should buy.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to spend more than 60-70 dollars.  I listen to rock, hip-hop, dance, techno, house, heavy and death metal, some folk, classical, really everything.  I like my bass to be precise, noticeable, and not "muddy" so to speak. Overall audio quality should be good.  I'll also be watching movies with them, and they'll mainly be used on an Ipod nano.  Thanks in advance.  Hopefully what I've given you makes sense or is in some way coherent.  I know nothing about headphones at all.  If you need any more information just ask.  Below is a list of headphones I've been looking at, so you can steer me toward one of them, or suggest something completely different. Thanks again! :)

Panasonic RP-HTX7 (Retro Style)

Sennheiser HD 205

Sennheiser HD428

Pioneer SE-MJ5

Shure SRH240

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you going to be using them in noisy areas, or quiet areas? Are you concerned with disturbing other people with what you're listening to? This will help dictate whether closed or open headphones are better for you.

(edit: In the $60-70 range, you can really stretch your budget if you're willing to buy used equipment.)

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 10
The loudest environment I'll be using them in will probably be a moving car (as a passenger; I won't be driving with these on).  And I'll soon be going off to college, probably with a roommate, so yeah, I will indeed have to worry about disturbing others.  

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Jan 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
If you're looking for semi-portable phones, This thread has an amazingly comprehensive list of various over-ear, around-ear, and DJ phones, all given scores in a bunch of different categories, then ranked based on scores.... I HIGHLY recommend giving it a look, as it'll give you a really good idea of values...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08

Thanks!  This thread was really helpful!  But it also brought to my attention my lack of an amp.  I won't be able to buy one.  What headphones in the 60-80 dollar range sound good without one?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
If you're looking for semi-portable phones, This thread has an amazingly comprehensive list of various over-ear, around-ear, and DJ phones, all given scores in a bunch of different categories, then ranked based on scores.... I HIGHLY recommend giving it a look, as it'll give you a really good idea of values...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08

Thanks!  This thread was really helpful!  But it also brought to my attention my lack of an amp.  I won't be able to buy one.  What headphones in the 60-80 dollar range sound good without one?

Yeah, I think the qualifier for it to be portable was that it had to sound good without an amp, and I think if they need an amp, the review will mention it. I have a pair of M50's, which are in one of the higher tiers, and they sound great without an amp. You shouldn't have any problems with that.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't personally own any of these headphones, so I can't really give you a definitive answer, but going off what I've heard and read on this site, the Creative Aurvana Lives (which are reviewed in Joker's massive thread) seem to be a step up from the JVC HA-M750s, and are still within your price limit (~$70). However, they are not super portable, and the isolation is apparently a little low. I can't say much about the Senns, though, but those would be even less portable...

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 10
On the other hand, I can't seem to find the Creatives for less than $90 (online at least). I suspect they've been discontinued or something, since a lot of places no longer stock them. In that case you could look into the AKG K81DJs, which have the benefit of being very portable, and are rated pretty highly. Also, I know for a fact you can get them for ~$55 on Amazon... That's just my opinion though, might want to ask someone else too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back