Need some new music!
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks...
I'm getting kinda bored with my music collection (last fm--->sig)
I want to try some new music, I don't have any specific taste, I'm kind of open minded although most of my music is rock - hard rock - prog rock.
Feel free to give me good albums, or Last.fm links.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 27
Well since you like rock, and old rock, i recommend The Police. You could also try out The Who, i don't really like them, but others do. My album collection is sort of like yours, so, i would also recommend Vampire Weekend. And i didn't really see them anywhere, so i will also recommend Radiohead. This should be more than enough food for thought, and chances are that you already know and have heard most of them, but ill recommend them anyway.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 27
Try a new genre entirely. If you love rock, you might want to explore jazz, blues and American roots music. There's much to like in each and you will hear the beginnings of rock. When you listen to rock after you get into one of these, you'll hear the influences and get a deeper understanding of what you already like.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks...
I'm getting kinda bored with my music collection (last fm--->sig)
I want to try some new music, I don't have any specific taste, I'm kind of open minded although most of my music is rock - hard rock - prog rock.
Feel free to give me good albums, or Last.fm links.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you own either of these?

Cave-In-"Jupiter"
Dredg-El Cielo

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 27
Some missing 60's/70's Rock and Progressive rock, from your Top 50: The Who, Rush, Cheap Trick, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks

Newer Progressive rock: The Mars Volta and Muse come to mind.

Newer Progressive metal: Voivod or Tool

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 27
Jul 15, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 27
I fancied a change too. I felt the need to cleanse my aural palette, as it were. I listen to most types of music but love rocky, bluesy, reggae type stuff, so that’s what I play a lot of. Think Dr John, Jah Wobble, Little Axe etc. Anyway, of late, I’ve been loving the sound of a double bass, so I got me a few jazz records. There is some great stuff out there. Check out Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Clark Terry, Chet Baker, anything with Paul Chambers or Ray Brown (thanks to SR-71Panorama for the recommendation there) on bass. Those guys really could play.

I thought I’d even try classical as a completed change, but I’m afraid I didn’t get on with it. I can appreciate the skill, but it just didn’t do it for me. But, that’s not to say it won’t work for you. Close the eyes, open the mind and enjoy something new.

At the end of the day, when I put some Jah Wobble back on the other night, it sounded fresher and better than ever, but now I've added even more breadth to my musical appreciation.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
john coltrane - blue train.... awesome.

How did you know which one I bought? I have to agree though. I also got A Love Supreme, which is pretty good too.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 27
Thanks for the recommendations.
I already heard Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath and I do love them, same thing about AC/DC.
I think I'll explore some prog rock, like Yes, Camel and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back