Need some input, please! Buying new IEM cans - $100-130
Mar 15, 2006 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

smensch

New Head-Fier
Hey, y'all! For the past 2 go-rounds, I've owned both the Etymotic ER6 headphones and then the newer Etymotic ER6i cans (once the original pair broke). I actually thought the original ER6 cans were better than the ER6i ones. (Am I crazy?) Anyway, my ER6i cans broke after 2 years of use, and I now need new headphones. I love the sound of the Etymotics, but I think I might try branching out. For reference, I like clarity and treble in my cans, and I'm not as interested in bass. I have a budget of around $130, and I'm considering any and all IEMs (including going back to the ER6i), most notably the Westone UM-1, UE Super-fi 3, Shure e2c (and possibly e3c), and Altec Lansing im716. Please help me out! The choices are driving me insane!
580smile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
If you like the Etys, the im716 seems a logical pick.

Agreed.

If you like the ER6(i), the consensus from the overly long thread "Altec Lansing IM716 equals Ety ER4s" is that the iM716 offers better sound for a similar price. It even compared favorably with the ER4S/4P, except by one reviewer that did not allow adequate time for burn-in. Yes, these require a bit of burn-in to flesh out, IMO.

Minor reservations: (1) Like the ER4, the iM716 has higher microphonics than the ER6(i). I found them fine for the gym, but they may not fare as well for biking or jogging. I don’t know if any IEMs would for that matter. Probably as much a safety concern as microphonics, but if this is your primary use, you may consider a non-IEM.

(2) Also, like the ER4S (100 Ohms), these have a relatively high impedance (~68 and 37 Ohms, HD and Bass modes, respectively) and require you to turn up the volume of your DAP more than most phones specifically designed for portable use. However, I haven't yet detected any hiss, as noted in some portable, low impedance phones. This is not an issue for me as I seldom get above 75-80% volume on my iPod with these, which I consider loud. Just thought to mention it as it comes up often in posts.

Overall: Very good, detailed sound with surprisingly good, tight bass.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the advice! Regarding the AL cans, I like to play my music fairly loud (due to being partially deaf in my left ear -- a childhood thing, not from loud music
biggrin.gif
). Can I get loud sound from the im716's when driven by an iPod (4G)? Also, is the isolation as good as the ER6i's (or close to it)?

Can anyone else chime in? Pretty please?

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by smensch
Thanks for the advice! Regarding the AL cans, I like to play my music fairly loud (due to being partially deaf in my left ear -- a childhood thing, not from loud music
biggrin.gif
). Can I get loud sound from the im716's when driven by an iPod (4G)? Also, is the isolation as good as the ER6i's (or close to it)?

Can anyone else chime in? Pretty please?

Isolation should be about the same, since they use the same tips.

The im716 seems easy to drive in the bass boost mode.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, after doing some extensive research on this site (and on the internet), I went ahead and ordered the Altec Lansing im716 headphones. I can't wait to get back to IEMs, as I look like a total dork wearing my Grado S60s when walking around (plus the sound leakage sucks on public transportation).
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to those who supplied me with advice. I'll let y'all know how the new cans are working out for me (and how they compare to the ER6i, albeit from memory).

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by smensch
Well, after doing some extensive research on this site (and on the internet), I went ahead and ordered the Altec Lansing im716 headphones. I can't wait to get back to IEMs, as I look like a total dork wearing my Grado S60s when walking around (plus the sound leakage sucks on public transportation).
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to those who supplied me with advice. I'll let y'all know how the new cans are working out for me (and how they compare to the ER6i, albeit from memory).

As per jogorev, yes, the Etys and Altecs use the same tips. So if you liked the ER6i tips/isolation, you will be satisfied with the iM716.

The Bass mode plays a bit louder than the HD mode. I also have a 4th G iPod and don’t get above 75-80% on the volume level. If you like music really loud, you may max it out. If you feel creative, you might crack open the little pod (not so easy to do, I've tried unsuccessfully), and bypass the volume pot. That might give you a tad more headroom if you really need it.

Yes, please keep us posted with your impressions after you get them. Also, burn them in for a week or so.

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back