Need some in-ear phones for Motorcycling
Dec 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Sphinx89

100+ Head-Fier
Helllooo,

I like listening to my ipod on long journeys, and currently use these,
sony-mdr-ex71slb-p_122375vb.png

But the problem is the buds never fit properly as they are just silicone so fall out often, even with the different sizes, so i find myself stopping alot just to put them back in.

So can anyone recommend me some decent headphones for riding?
- Need to be in-ear, as my flip front helmet lets wind noise in
- Would probably need to be some sort of expanding tip, to stay in my ear. If i wear ear plugs on my bike these stay in fine for the whole journey because of the foam material.
- Less than £50

Cheeeers
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 30
Anything that takes ety foams. What do you listen to? That would help us choose.

And, far be it for me to tell someone how to ride a motorcycle, but just make sure you are safe with the isolation that the IEMs provide.

=Nkk

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 30
I don't know how hearing protection works for motorcyclists, but be aware that the etymotics foams mentioned above provide 42 dB of isolation, which is quite a lot. With music playing, there's no way you'd be able to hear anything going on around you, which seems more than a little dangerous.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 30
Its all perfectly legal to use earphones when riding, its either that or the wind noise, which stops you hearing anything else going on anyway. And the wind noise for long periods of time can damage hearing.

Usually listen to bassy music, dance music sometimes.

Was just looking at Comply tips for my current earphones, do you think these would do a good job?

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 30
i'd go for the westones. you might be able to find some um1s used in your price range. so far i've used apple in ear dual drivers (ADDIEMS), phonak pfes, westone um1s, and shure IEMs, and the westones stayed in the best. i took the cable around the top of my ear and behind my head.

if you are also thinking about a source, i'd recommend apples new shuffle. i know it sucks, but for motorcycling its the best, because you can control it completely without a screen, changing tracks, volume, playlists, all with the voice feature.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 30
I suggest a pair with cables that loop over the ear. I had a co-worker motorcyclist who I turned on to UM2s. He loved them. Depending on your budget you want to check out the Westone 1, 2, or 3s.

-Pony

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnybobiche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how hearing protection works for motorcyclists, but be aware that the etymotics foams mentioned above provide 42 dB of isolation, which is quite a lot. With music playing, there's no way you'd be able to hear anything going on around you, which seems more than a little dangerous.

This isn't true - you're better off wearing full on earplugs when riding as wind noise can easily be in the range of 80-100dB, and horns and such aren't any harder to hear than they would be in the cabin of a quiet car, you just don't get fatigue and hearing damage. See http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

I'm not a fan of listening to music on a bike though.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 30
Ive had problems with my flip front helmet and earphones. The best fit Ive got so far was my SURE SE530's. Even those would get pulled out putting my helmet on at times. Honestly, it may sound crazy but getting some customs is the best long range plan. You get the best fit and isolation by far and you wont have to mess around with 5 different phones trying to get something to work.

If you can get the right size complys first to try it might work for you with your current phones. I have friends and that is all they use.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive had problems with my flip front helmet and earphones. The best fit Ive got so far was my SURE SE530's. Even those would get pulled out putting my helmet on at times. Honestly, it may sound crazy but getting some customs is the best long range plan. You get the best fit and isolation by far and you wont have to mess around with 5 different phones trying to get something to work.

If you can get the right size complys first to try it might work for you with your current phones. I have friends and that is all they use.

Another option is a helmet with a bluetooth comm system installed, I suppose (which would still let you wear heavy-duty earplugs).

If your helmet fits well it will tug on the earphone wires when putting it on no matter what.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 30
Its way better with over the ear cables though. At least have those. It wont tug after you get going though.

I would like to use my sleeks with my Kleer wireless unit but they dont fit under the helmet too good. Especially since I already have the bluetooth scala rider team set installed so with the speakers there isnt alot of space. Customs fix everything for me. That way I still have the intercomm for when my wife is with me. I can hook mp3 directly to the scala but it sucks so bad it isnt worth it at all.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 30
I have had the best luck with Etymotic ER6i. Use the tips that you can get the furthest into your ear. The triple flange silicone tips work fine for me.

ER4's stick out of your ear too far.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 30
I ride a lot here and have found that the Shure orange foam sleeves do the best with my IEM's. Good noise isolation makes for good sound reproduction. But hence I'm old and listen to AM radio mostly.

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 30
Two in one.

09imm021.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back