Need some help with my amp build (Warning: Large pics)
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally decided to start my DIY audio adventure, and purchased one of these kits from Jaycar: Jaycar Electronics

Also, I purchased 2 of these to use as input and output sockets: Jaycar Electronics

I soldered up the circuit pretty easily, and for the power source I soldered in a 9V battery clip as I wanted to use it as a "portable" amplifier.

However, when I tried listening to it, the sound coming out was really badly distorted and echoy, and I'm having trouble troubleshooting since I'm absolutely newb at DIY, and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I have a feeling that I haven't wired up the input and outputs properly, and I think thats where I may have made an error.

Or, am I using the wrong sockets, and should use these instead: Jaycar Electronics

Also, how would I add in a volume control and power switch?

I have put some photos and the instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_9466.jpg

IMG_9467.jpg

IMG_9468.jpg

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

Scan0001.jpg

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 10
You don't have the gnd wire connected on the sockets, it's the pin nearest the metal threads

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 10
Firstly this is a mono amp and your trying to connect it to stereo sockets, have a look at this attachement. I think you have bought the wrong kit

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother.
wink.gif

Just change the wires on the jacks you already have and you will be good to go.

So I should just resolder one of the wires to the ground section of the input socket?

I'm finding that even though I messed up this first project slightly, its been a good learning experience. I can actually start to read schematics and other stuff now.

@Rembrant: Where can I get the boards and parts for that amp?

Update: Rewired the input socket. Everything now works!

Doesn't sound too brilliant, but not too bad either. Using it as a guitar amp actually. Now I'm looking forward to building my first CMOY. Quick question, if I want to use the AD 8397, is there anything I need to watch out for?

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Rembrant: Where can I get the boards and parts for that amp?

There is no board. I used breadboard and ran my own traces just like the one on the page. I got everything I needed at Radioshat for around $20. You could source the parts much cheaper elsewhere if you are willing to wait on shipping.
http://www.minidisc.org/inside.jpg http://www.minidisc.org/boardwir.jpg

Honestly, A C-moy is much better. I don't know about its capabilities of driving an 8Ohm load. I have never tried. In many ways it is easier to build as well.

I jumped in with both feet when I made this one. It was the only thing I could source parts locally for.

Remember to use a cheap source and phones for testing. I fried two sets of cheap ear buds and a sound card channel when I made my first amp.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back