Need some help to clear things up a bit
Sep 2, 2020 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SaturnoV

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this world so I may sound confused and not using the correct terminology, my apologies in advance for this.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use with portable devices, like smartphones, portable consoles, laptops, etc. I've been reading articles and posts about how headphones sound and I concluded that a nice neutral sound would be appreciated. Currently I have a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro and, while enjoying them, I find their signature quite not completely satisfying.

So I started searching for the right headphones for me and wow, there are so many options I ended up being more confused than before. I decided then to ask help to someone with more knowledge.

I'm looking for something in the 150€ price range and so fare these are the options I've been valuating:

• Grado SR80e
  • Audiotechnica M50X
  • AKG K371 and K245
  • Beyerdinamics DT 770 Pro 32 ohm
  • Sennheiser HD599
Unfortunately prices here are higher and some options are not feasible (like the HD58x Jubilee from Drop, after shipping and customs are closer to 200€).

Thank you in advance!

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 4
What do you mainly listen to? The K371 is one of the safest choices you can make. Closed, lightweight, comfy, very good and non demanding. If you need isolation, need it to be very transportable and listen to a wide variety of music i would absolutely get this. If you use it mainly a home, don't need isolation, only listen to specific genres others from your list may be superior.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 4
So frequency response-wise, the Grados are going to sound close to your current IEMs with a really aggressive push as you climb the midrange.

A lot of people like the m50x, but it’s not really neutral, it’s got a boosted mid bass and scooped mids.

Of the headphones you’ve listed, the K371 is likely the most neutral. I haven’t heard it personally, but people who have a similar taste as me in FR gush about it have called it an improved 553, which is a very good closed back.

I’m not a fan of the 770s, they’re too bright for my taste.

The HD-599 is also a very fun headphone, but far from neutral, they also have an emphasized bass tuning.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 4
What do you mainly listen to? The K371 is one of the safest choices you can make. Closed, lightweight, comfy, very good and non demanding. If you need isolation, need it to be very transportable and listen to a wide variety of music i would absolutely get this. If you use it mainly a home, don't need isolation, only listen to specific genres others from your list may be superior.
I don't have a specific genre, I tend to listen several kinds of music but mostyl hard rock, prog rock, old school hip hop (especially songs with funky beats), electronic, even classical pieces sometimes. I'll use them 99% of the time at home, but I'd like a bit of isolation since my neighbours are a bit noisy.

So frequency response-wise, the Grados are going to sound close to your current IEMs with a really aggressive push as you climb the midrange.

A lot of people like the m50x, but it’s not really neutral, it’s got a boosted mid bass and scooped mids.

Of the headphones you’ve listed, the K371 is likely the most neutral. I haven’t heard it personally, but people who have a similar taste as me in FR gush about it have called it an improved 553, which is a very good closed back.

I’m not a fan of the 770s, they’re too bright for my taste.

The HD-599 is also a very fun headphone, but far from neutral, they also have an emphasized bass tuning.
I knew I wasn't doing my researches well. :D Do you have other suggestions or I can pull the trigger on the K371?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back