Need some help - Eytomic Research HF-5 v ShureE215 v VSonic GR07 v Soundmagic E10 v HiFiMan RE262
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ryanki

New Head-Fier
So I got some money for christmas and have upgraded my headphones (Creative Aurvana Lives - Love them!), and now it's time to look at earphones.

At the moment I'm using Sennheiser CX 400 II, and I do like them, however, I've had my eyes on Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 and the reviews on here are good.

My question is, then, should I upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 23
The TF10 is much different from the CX400. Highs will be much more forward, bass quantity will be less, its a BA so everything will sound different... If you like your CX400's sound signature, you should try something like the Monster Turbine series or Shure SE215; the SE215 really impressed me coming from the CX400s and are a definite upgrade.

What are your other priorities? Is isolation important? Comfort? Etc. What is your spending limit?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 23
@Gilly, Isolation is important to me, but not a necessity, and I do quite like the sound I'm getting at the moment, but I'm pitifully ignorant as to what other earphones can offer me. The Shure SE215 have been added to my list! Comfort is definitely needed, I will use them everyday going to school, and at home for hours. The Monster Turbines are a little much, although I can stretch to it if needs be. At the moment I have £130 to spend, but I would like to spend less than that. Although, I can sell my CX 400 for around £30-40, so I could go up to £150.

I mainly listen to Rock, Brit Rock and other variations of Rock, but I do listen to other genres as well so balance is important

@sjonderon Unfortunately the IE80 far exceed my budget,

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 23
With the CX 400 I found that my best fit was the medium, although I lost them and rather than buying replacements I used the large size, so I guess my ears are between M and L

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 23
Also theres the combination of memory wire AND swivel connector=pain in the **** to fit properly.  As well as that there's also the known connector issue and I'd stay away from the shure 215 (and yes I had two pairs that didn't work properly!).  As stated above the triple fi's are reduced on amazon down to £109 atm which might be a good deal for you.  If you don't like the look of the triple fi's then there's the popular vsonic gr07 which goes for around £110 on frogbeats as well.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 23
I think the OP is probably looking for more bass than the GR07 and TF10 based on liking his Aurvana Live! and CX400.

How much are the Klipsch Image X10 in the UK? They were my upgrade from the SE215 and I know they can be had for about the same price as the TF10/GR07 in some places. He states comfort and isolation as needed and the X10 definitely delivers on both fronts there, and competes with the GR07 and TF10 for overall SQ, even if it doesn't have as good of extension, which he probably won't miss coming from the CX400.

Quote:
Also theres the combination of memory wire AND swivel connector=pain in the **** to fit properly.  As well as that there's also the known connector issue and I'd stay away from the shure 215 (and yes I had two pairs that didn't work properly!).  As stated above the triple fi's are reduced on amazon down to £109 atm which might be a good deal for you.  If you don't like the look of the triple fi's then there's the popular vsonic gr07 which goes for around £110 on frogbeats as well.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 23
Cheapest in the uk right now is £169 at Richer sounds. It SOMETIMES drops as low as £144 on amazon but that's rare nowadays sadly.  Wonder if that's the case if the op would like something like the klipsch image s4 which is going silly cheap on play/amazon for around £25 atm?

So Ryanki what is it you want to improve on on the sennheisers?

Cheers

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 23
If you want to spend less, why not look into the Soundmagic E10 and E30? In the US these are around $35-40 and have received rave reviews, being compared to some iems that cost over $150.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
So Ryanki what is it you want to improve on on the sennheisers?

I want earphones that are just an all round improvement. I am happy with them, but I have some money to spend and figured that one of the few things I use every day are my earphones. I'm sorry I can't be very helpful in helping you know what I want, so I appreciate your patience 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back