Need some help deciding on first pair of gaming/music headphones.
Dec 9, 2007 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

decaprime

New Head-Fier
I've been reading head-fi for the last few days trying to gather enough research to be able to make a semi-educated post and narrow down some options (there are a lot of them =P).

On a whim during blackfriday shopping I picked up a pair of Razer Barracuda headphones *duck*. I can't stand them- and when I go back home for chrismas break I am going to return them. That being said i'm in the market for a decent pair of headphones. I've learned my lesson about surround sound/gaming headsets.

I play mainly FPS games, though not limited to that genre, positional audio is important. I listen to classical/modern rock about equally. While quality sound is definitely important- comfort is at least equally important (The barracuda's gave me a headache almost instantly).

I don't really have a strong preference as to open or closed- I could be convinced to either, 99% of the time I will be using these at home plugged into an x-fi fatalty soundcard.

My budget is around $100 so far (from other thread's suggestions) i've looked at these:

HD555
ATH-A500/700s
RP-21
ATH-ES7

I'm open to any other suggestions. I would really prefer to be able to use them unamped for budget reasons though i'm not completely adverse to getting one in the future(but it would be awhile).

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 15
I owned the A500s and I can vouch for them. They made excellent gaming/movie headphones. I recently sold them to a friend and she absolutely loves them. You couldn't go wrong with a pair of those.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Would the A700's be at all noticeably better- they come out to be the same price as the barracuda's i'm returning. They seem to be the same design so they should be about the same comfort wise. I'm starting to lean towards HD555 vs A700(is either more comfortable during prolonged use?). I wish I had the extra $80 in my budget for the HD595s or A900s but for my first pair a decent headphones I just can't justify it.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 15
Bah, I am at such a loss for what to do... I've been searching around and I may be able to spring for a nice deal on DT770s but how do they compare quality/comfort/gaming wise to the A700s and HD555s.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 15
I've owned the DT770s and they are very comfortable. i can't compare them to the A700's because I haven't owned those but the DT770's are great and have a good feel to them on your head that is comfortable for hours.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 15
That's a really good review thanks, he touched on specific games that I played so it was definately useful. Though I was originally looking at the A700 the AD700s (while ugly looking IMO) are definitely an option. Do any of these need an amp (HD555/A(D)700/DT770 need an amp)?

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by decaprime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a really good review thanks, he touched on specific games that I played so it was definately useful. Though I was originally looking at the A700 the AD700s (while ugly looking IMO) are definitely an option. Do any of these need an amp (HD555/A(D)700/DT770 need an amp)?

700 would be the easiest to drive..

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm closing in on a decision, a couple final questions about the AD700s:

-I can believe they are comfortable but will they stay on your head? Obviously i'm not going jogging but leaning foward/back or doing a quick turn to see who came in the door are they going to slide off.

-I've never had open cans, how much sound gets out? I could care less about sound coming in(these are only for my desk).

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 15
Both the Ax00 and ADx00s are, if anything like the ATH-A500 I used to own (before I somehow managed to obliterate the cable), spectacularly comfortable, and not very likely to accidentally fall off your head. Be warned, however, that they will deform your hair quite visibly.

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtyrce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the Ax00 and ADx00s are, if anything like the ATH-A500 I used to own (before I somehow managed to obliterate the cable), spectacularly comfortable, and not very likely to accidentally fall off your head. Be warned, however, that they will deform your hair quite visibly.

I have my hair pretty short but thanks for the tip =)... but isn't there some truth to that for all headphones...

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 15
Even more so with the ATH, since the wings alone will press over your head, unlike a whole band that you often see with other headphones.

I own the A900s and looking to upgrade from here.

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the help guys, I think i've settled on the AD700s and I am going to order them later today.

Bad news: After reading so much headfi trying to decide I want to now build a little altoid CMOY amp (looks like a fun project) and get a nicer set for my iPhone.

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 15
*laughs maniacally* good, good, another convert to the cult. lol

Welcome to the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back