Need some help choosing between Sennheiser HD 600/650 or Denon AHD 2000
Aug 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ham sandwich, I can't seem to find what kind of inputs the x head has. Can you tell me?

It has one set of stereo RCA inputs on the back. It is an amp only, no DAC.

I just noticed that Skylab did a review of it. And a review by elrod-tom. And since I had the search going, there is one in the for sale forum as well.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 42
Yeah i've read the comparison already rushnerd. When considering the cost of a recabling job, its making just springing for the AHD 5000s a bit more sensible...I dunno, I have to get some more impressions.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #34 of 42
You could just D2000 unamped.
happy_face1.gif

Buy the amp later.

The only markl mod I could see being sensible was the dampening on the cup, that should take out most of the boom.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could just D2000 unamped.
happy_face1.gif

Buy the amp later.

The only markl mod I could see being sensible was the dampening on the cup, that should take out most of the boom.

I already have an amp, a corda 2move. Haven't read anyone using the Denons with that though. And from what I read the stock cable for the ahd2000s is bad. Thats why many choose to recable (along with the boomy bass issue)

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

I already have an amp, a corda 2move. Haven't read anyone using the Denons with that though. And from what I read the stock cable for the ahd2000s is bad. Thats why many choose to recable (along with the boomy bass issue)

People here say lots of things about cables and alternative headphone cables. Some people are clearly cable believers and some are not.

I think it is silly to be looking at cable upgrades when you're playing with sub $400 amps. You'd do better to upgrade or change the amp to get the sound you want rather than trying to tweak the sound with a different headphone cable. If you're looking at $200-$300 amps along with a cable upgrade it would make more sense to forget about the cable upgrade and instead increase the amp budget to something like the Audio-gd C-2C. If you already have a $1000+ plus amp and are a cable believer and want to tweak the sound and think that can be achieved by a different cable then go for it. But with lower cost amps I think the cable games are a silly game to play when the money could be better spent on a better or different amp.

The D2000 is a nice headphone that does some nice and interesting things. It is also a headphone that has some sonic quirks. There are times when it will not sound correct with particular recordings (that's what I mean by sonic quirks). It is not a reference or monitoring headphone.

The HD600/650 is also a nice headphone. The advantage of the HD600/650 is that it will never sound wrong or incorrect with a recording. There are times that it won't have the same life or excitement as a different headphone, but the sound will never be wrong or faulty. It does everything reasonably well with all types of music. The disadvantage of the HD600/650 is that it needs a reasonable and suitable amp (preferably a desktop amp and not a portable).

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #38 of 42
I don't understand how the OP can be comparing Denon 2000s to the HD600/650. Not only is the sound very different, but they're in a different league.

My advice is go with the Denons. Don't get me wrong, HD600/650 are much much better, but don't get them unless you have serious amping.

Otherwise, I would just get an all rounder that's easy to drive like the Sony SA5000/3000/1000. Pretty good match with all your music. Trance, Jazzz, metal, and best of all doesn't really require serious amplification. Most of the headphones with speed for metal either lack bass, or require serious amplification. The SA Sonys don't. It has enough groove and good staging for Jazz too. And I think if you get the SA5000, the bass should be plenty for trance.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #39 of 42
I almost got the Denon AHD5000s, but it didn't go through at the last min.
The reason I think I want the 5000s is that I keep reading about how crappy the stock cable is on the 2000s. I figure, If I'm gonna end up replacing the cable anyhow, I might as well just get the 5000s, which is said to have a superior cable. I'm still thinking of pairing it with an ibasso D10. Thoughts?

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

I almost got the Denon AHD5000s, but it didn't go through at the last min.
The reason I think I want the 5000s is that I keep reading about how crappy the stock cable is on the 2000s. I figure, If I'm gonna end up replacing the cable anyhow, I might as well just get the 5000s, which is said to have a superior cable. I'm still thinking of pairing it with an ibasso D10. Thoughts?

FWIR...

I suggest giving much more consideration to what amp you will be using and how well it will work (synergize) with the headphones you choose.

If you're not choosing the HD600 because of not having a decent desktop amp, I agree. If you're not choosing the HD650 because you don't have a decent balanced system, I agree.

If you're considering the D5000 as a short cut to a modded D2000, I partially agree. But whatever you do, I suggest your chances of satisfaction would be better if you followed in the successful footsteps of others. I suggest reading and posting in the amp forums regarding the D5000. Search "D5000".

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #42 of 42
1Time:
I'm mostly put off from buying a Senn because of the amplification issue. The other side of that is that people are saying it won't really do well with my musical tastes, metal and trance mostly. I def have had very few suggestions on amps in this post so ill look around the forum.

rushnerd:
I'm actively searching for a pair on the forum for a good price. As soon as I get a good deal I'll get em. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back