Need some help choosing between Sennheiser HD 600/650 or Denon AHD 2000
Aug 2, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Agent_Moler

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm planning on picking up a new pair of headphones in Sept. and I have settled on choosing between the Sennheiser HD 600/650 or the Denon AHD 2000.

My budget for the headphones is $300 or less. I'm also interested in buying a portable amp that synergizes well with the headphone I choose. My budget for the amp is also $300 (a usb DAC would be nice), but less is always better.
smily_headphones1.gif

The music I mostly listens to is (in order of preference):
Metal: Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Opeth, Orphaned Land, and Porcupine Tree
Trance: Above & Beyond, Robert Miles, Prodigy, and Paul Oakenfold
Jazz: Heavy Weather and Lee Morgan
and various video game soundtracks

I'm looking for impressions from people who have listened to these headphones and if someone happens and if you didn't use a stock cable, can you please list what type of cable you used. Thanks a lot!

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 42
If you go Denon, you'll most likely need to get a MarkL modded/recabled pair to make them into better allrounders. Particularly for your jazz and Porcupine Tree, stock D2000 won't have a coherent enough midrange for you, IMO.

If you go Sennheiser, you might find they're lacking in slam and impact for the types of music you listen to, particularly if your budget for an amp/dac caps out at $300.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 42
ah, from what i gather cable mods for the Senns are expensive and i wouldnt get as much bang for buck as i would with the Denons, right?

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 42
If you listen to the Metal + trance more than Jazz then go for Denon. If you listen to Jazz more often then go for the Sennheisers.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 42
any cable recommendations? Or is MarkL's cable what you guys are using? What about amps as well?

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 42
Beyerdynamic dt880's or the Audio Technica's ad900's would sing better to your type of tunes.... senns and for sure denons are boomy cans. If you dont want to go for other brands, then go sennheiser. The denons need to much voodoo to sound ok...

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic dt880's or the Audio Technica's ad900's would sing better to your type of tunes.... senns and for sure denons are boomy cans. If you dont want to go for other brands, then go sennheiser. The denons need to much voodoo to sound ok...

For someone that listens to metal + trance I dont think he'll find the senns or denons boomy just like I don't either but of course its up to his individual ears. And who says the Denons need too much voodoo to sound ok? They get rave reviews in stock form and I love mine stock and dont find them or the HD650's boomy at all. I haven't heard the AD900's but the dt880's are nice too, they just aren't as comfortable as either the Senns or Denons for me.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any cable recommendations? Or is MarkL's cable what you guys are using? What about amps as well?

FWIR, I agree with those who already posted; the D2000 is the better choice for you. And, you should expect to mod it or have this done for you. Not so sure about the need for a recable though, which may bust your budget anyway. So it's best to determine the total headphone cost before looking for a source / amp (so you'll know how much $ you have left to spend).

As for your source / amp, I suggest also reading and posting in the appropriate forums. Be sure to make it known that your headphones will be a modded D2000. Search "D2000" for lots of info.

Then, when you think you've got your additional equipment selections narrowed down, I suggest posting a new thread in this forum asking for opinions on your likely system before buying anything, a D2000 + other equipment.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 42
You sure you want a portable amp? Home headphones and portable amps don't mix, imo. Portable phone + portable amp, home phone + home amp, even portable phone + home amp are vastly preferable.

And always have a decent source. There's really no excuse not to, unless your budget is like <$200 total.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For someone that listens to metal + trance I dont think he'll find the senns or denons boomy just like I don't either but of course its up to his individual ears. And who says the Denons need too much voodoo to sound ok? They get rave reviews in stock form and I love mine stock and dont find them or the HD650's boomy at all. I haven't heard the AD900's but the dt880's are nice too, they just aren't as comfortable as either the Senns or Denons for me.

Thank you, I hate it when people completely dismiss them as boomy, it's just ridiculous. They don't "need' anything, but if you want to "voodoo" them up, why not! Fun project. One thing I never get though is if people dismiss the Denon's as boomy because there's a lot of bass and they aren't used to that/ don't like that much in HP or what. I need a powerful low end and it's working pretty good for me so far, can't wait to try it amped.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 42
uh oh, didn't mean to start any arguments here....lol Ok its looking like the Denon is the better choice here, I've only seen recommendations for the Mark L cable, so is that really the best for me?

I'm looking for a portable amp because I don't want a desktop amp that will take up a lot of space. I currently have a 2move, I havent read anything about how they synergize with the Denons. If someone has tried it with the 2move, please let me knw ur impressions!

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 42
Against all the most said about the senns,I really love my HD650 for metal and also electronic music. but I agree that for electronics the DENONS are the best. they have amazing low end for that kind of music. the HD650 are too close to neutral for electronic IMO, but for metal they passed my test.

one problem with the denons that you should take into SERIOUS acount is ofcourse...THE BASS. it is very powerful and not suitable with already bass heavy rock/metal tunes. ofcourse you can always tame the bass with the markl mode if you wish, which should make them perfect by all the rumours.
never tried it myself tough...
again...for electronic the denons IMO are the best choice, and also for a lot of good metal recordings, but don't think that you can get out of it without a good amp with the denons...they do need and benefit a LOT from a good amplification. without a proper amp the will sound very dull and lifeless from my own experience.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, I hate it when people completely dismiss them as boomy, it's just ridiculous. They don't "need' anything, but if you want to "voodoo" them up, why not! Fun project. One thing I never get though is if people dismiss the Denon's as boomy because there's a lot of bass and they aren't used to that/ don't like that much in HP or what. I need a powerful low end and it's working pretty good for me so far, can't wait to try it amped.

Sorry, but how can you form that opinion if the main thing you do in this forum is praise the d2000's probably because they are your first set of decent cans.... as you experience others, you might get what others mean about denon's and boominess. Its cool that you like them, thats all it matters, but because of that its also cool to be open and question your perceptions once in a while....

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Against all the most said about the senns,I really love my HD650 for metal and also electronic music.

I don't know about electronic music, but the 650s aren't horrible for metal. Their biggest strength is that they kinda smooth out some of the crappy compression of loudness-war era metal. Also, they don't have any real weaknesses in frequency response, unless you consider the rolled off highs to be a weakness. I don't.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that either the Senns or the Denons would be better than the OP's Grados from a portable amp. You know what would be really intriguing? The Symphones Grado upgrade.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back