New Head-Fier
im new and need recommendations, so far i like:

arcade fire - the suburbs

the beatles - sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band

the black keys - brothers

u2 - the joshua tree

pink floyd - the dark side of the moon

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 14
If you like Sgt. Pepper's, you could try other Beatles, the White album and Abbey Road are very good.

And if you like Rock, you need some Rolling Stones. The best are Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and the Live Get yer ya-ya's out. But the DVD Ladies and Gentlemen recorded Live during the US tour in 1972 is also a very good way to discover them.

Sticky fingers is the more sophisticated, Exile is a kind of tribute to all the music they like, the roots of their music : rock, blues country, black music...And the Live are full of energy.

Pascal.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
And if you like Rock, you need some Rolling Stones. The best are Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and the Live Get yer ya-ya's out. But the DVD Ladies and Gentlemen recorded Live during the US tour in 1972 is also a very good way to discover them.

I'd probably put "Let it Bleed" at the top, followed by "Beggar's Banquet".  But there's no question that those 5 albums are one of the finest, if not the finest, runs of rock albums ever made by a single artist.

Some other good runs (in addition to the Beatles from Rubber Soul through Abbey Road) include:

The Kinks: Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola Powerman Money-go-round, and Muswell Hillbillies.  This stuff is a lot more "pop".

Allman Brothers: Beginnings (their first two), Live at the Fillmore East, Eat a Peach.

Credence Clearwater Revival

Jethro Tull: This Was, Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung

Procol Harum: Whiter Shade of Pale, Shine on Brightly, A Salty Dog, Home, Broken Barricades.

The Dead: Live-Dead, Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Europe 72.

So many more, but this is getting dissipated.

- Ed

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 14
In addition to the excellent suggestions above, I'd also recommend:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill

The Who - Live At Leeds

Yes - The Yes Album

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Santana - Moonflower

I could go on and on...so many classics!

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 14
Type in "Top 100 albums" for the years of 65-75 in google and you'll get a lot of peoples opinions. Since you're new, what have you been listening to? Mongolian throat singing, Patagonian flutes, Barny the Dinosaur.......

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 14
New to rock music, huh? That's.. odd. You do have to sample some Dire Straits, as a newbie. A more recent favourite of mine is a band called Them Crooked Vultures. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 14
If you're looking for music made this century:

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 14
Some of my favorite rock albums...

Green Day- Dookie
Biffy Clyro- The Vertigo of Bliss
Blink-182- Enema of the State
Angels and Airwaves- We Dont Need To Whisper
Foo Fighters- Greatest Hits
The Killers- Hot Fuss
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Sublime- Sublime

These are just some I could think of that Ive listened to recently.  Tried to put a broad variety of rock in there:)

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Try The National and Interpol, both very similar to Arcade Fire. Their best albums are Boxer and Turn On The Bright Lights respectively.

Great recommendations.  These are my 3 favorite bands of the 2000's. 

I'll throw R.E.M. into the the mix of recommendations.  Start with "Automatic for the People".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back