Need some advice
Mar 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rust In Peace

Head-Fier
Hi, I need some advice.

I have a choice of Sennheiser 558, 518, 449 and PX-360. I'm leaning more towards the 558 at the moment. I will use it mainly for listening to metal/rock/grunge with a bit of hip-hop and electronic/techno too from my PC, record player and a CD player through a Technics intergrated amp. Not much of a fan of headphones with too much bass. I will also use it for movies and games occasionally. I'll also be doing some mixing & mastering through them and I heard the 558 is somewhat good for that so that is why am I leaning towards that more at the moment. If I did get a pair of studio headphones eventually I'd probably go for a HD380 Pro or would that be unecessary?

The reason I have a choice out of them is because I can get them for 'free' through Qantas frequent flyer store. They seem the best available ones that aren't overly expensive.

https://store.qantas.com/Catalogue.a2?ProductCategoryId=7564

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 12
Hey Russ, I don't have direct experience with the 558s but I did once own a pair of 595s. I can tell you that if you listen to metal and hip-hop you'll probably want to stay far away from these sort of mid-grade open back cans. I'd go with something closed back. Open back headphones are nice and spacious, they make jazz and classical really pop, but the only ones I've heard that do hip-hop justice are the LCD2s and other headphones in that range. I'm interested to see if others agree with me on this point... I've got an extra set of Denon AD-2000s that I really like if you need a recommendation. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 12
A lot of the closed backs ones I've tried seem kind a little too tight for my taste even with that kind of music. They seem to add some kind of fake compression or something. I prefer a more natural looser sound.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 12
Hello!

Not sure about the HD558 but the HD598 is a great headphone for your needs although it is not 100% neutral. Mids and highs are put slightly forward than the bass. HD518 is the "more bass" version of HD449. Quite a lot of sibilants are heard with the HD518 to me. 

As for studio headphone, not necessary since you are looking for neutral headphone now. Do you have any budget in mind? Not all closed back headphones are tight. You can take a good look at the AKG K55. FYI, HD449 are closed.

i hope this help!
Billson :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Hello!

Not sure about the HD558 but the HD598 is a great headphone for your needs although it is not 100% neutral. Mids and highs are put slightly forward than the bass. HD518 is the "more bass" version of HD449. Quite a lot of sibilants are heard with the HD518 to me. 

As for studio headphone, not necessary since you are looking for neutral headphone now. Do you have any budget in mind? Not all closed back headphones are tight. You can take a good look at the AKG K55. FYI, HD449 are closed.

i hope this help!

Probably not more than the 558s ($300) here in Australia. Though as I said I can get them for free or get a gift card for other stores which stock Sennheiser & Sony as best choices. That's the only reason why I'm 'spending' so much even if I would like to get an even more expensive pair.

Are there any others you can recommend from that are neutral? Otherwise I'll probably just get the 558s since I like the open back sound.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 12
I think the general  consensus is that the 558 is better than the 380 pro's. I wouldn't say the 558 is the best for your genres, though.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 12
Heya!

To be honest with you, the AKG K550 as a closed headphone, I find it very open sounding. Other than HD558, for $300, if you don't mind used, the HE-400 are good. If not, Shure SRH-940 that I would consider it semi-open...lol

hope this help! 

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 12
SRH-940 are more neutral, mids centric and very slight bright. Lacks bass. Better clarity than HD558. Soundstage are wider on HD558 but on one(I think) can beat the SRH-940 detail :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back