Need some advice on IEM's
Dec 12, 2007 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kurocoma

New Head-Fier
So I just signed up after reading reviews on this site for quite a while. So yay for my first post!

So I picked up a pair of Shure SE210 the other day from my local BestBuy and have been listening to em for the last day or so. I have found that withouth using bass boost on my ipod they tend to lack on the low end. I am wondering if I should return these and go for the super.fi 5 Pro's or a pair of V-Moda's? Im not looking at adding an external amp or anything, just causal listening with my iPod/Zen and possibly using them while I DJ.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have read that the V-Moda's have a muddy bass which takes away from the sound quality and that the super.fi 5 Pro's are pretty good quality but with mixed reviews. Also if you have any other sugestions on the $100-150 range, or just a little more, let me know
biggrin.gif
. Thanks for your help!

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 13
I have the SF5 Pro and I really enjoy it. I don't find the bass muddy at all and the dual armatures I believe do a good job of providing clear treble with strong bass. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are larger than most IEMs and they are not as comfortable as my old Shures.

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 13
The SF5Pro has more bass that the SE210. The SF5Pro for $130 shipped is a tremendous value. They are large step up from the SE210s. One thing to remember about IEMs, if you are not familiar with them, is there lack of sensation. Bass is as much felt as heard. IEMs are missing that component. Once my ears adjusted, I found that the SE420s actually went quite deep wit pretty decent control. I was never satisfied with SE210s. Utilize the excellent return policy at BB and upgrade to the SF5Pro while the prices are outstanding. Another IEM to consider is the either one of the Jays. Take a look at Headroom.

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Thats the one thing I found out about the Shures that I like, they fit perfectly. Its just that I am not shure (lol) if they have enough bass for my taste, that is why I am concidering returning them. They also sound like they arnt as crisp when I turn up the volume.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 13
Alright, it is decided then. Going back today to return these and pick up some cheepies to hold me over (ipod headphones suck as well as break easily T_T). Now heres the decision, Black, White, or Clear. Lol. Amazon has a good price on them as well as good customer service for returns if they are DOA or some major problem comes up.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With newbies, it's always worthwhile to mention... are you sure you are getting a good seal?

Yup, great seal, they fit pertty much perfectly. Bass is there but its just not defined enough and is a bit weak. Also the sound isnt as crisp as I know it could be. But other than that, they sound great. Just looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurocoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, great seal, they fit pertty much perfectly. Bass is there but its just not defined enough and is a bit weak. Also the sound isnt as crisp as I know it could be. But other than that, they sound great. Just looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Stay away from Shure and Bose, then.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing to remember about IEMs, if you are not familiar with them, is there lack of sensation. Bass is as much felt as heard. IEMs are missing that component.

You obviously have not heard the Super.fi 5 EB.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 13
I will also throw in a vote for the SF5 Pro. I just got a pair and i enjoy them over all the shures i have had. They have a great sound especially for rock music. Excellent value for the money. I enjoy these $150 earphones more than i did my $400 Shure E5c's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back