Need some advice on closed cans! :D
Nov 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ck2323

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying some closed cans (budget $160)...So far I've narrowed it down to Shure SRH 840 and Audio Technica A900. What is your guys' experience in relation to the two headphones or are there other alternatives? Any input would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Having owned both the Shure 840 & AT ATH900, I like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 more than either of those
(for different reasons in each case).

Also, the ATH-M50 is a favorite in the price range, here on HF and pretty much everywhere for that matter.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Do they need to be full size circumaural? Or would you also consider on ear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 9
I would prefer them to be full size circumaural. I've heard great things about the M50 as well. I guess what I'm looking for is good deep lows (not the boomy kind :p ) thats powerful but not overshadowed by mids/highs. I've been kinda leaning towards the 840 because of the modular cable design (I've been bit in the butt by shoddy cables in the past). How about a the ATH-A700? From my research its pretty similiar to the A900 at a better price-point (any thoughts?). I guess right now, its between the ATH-A700 (good deal on amazon), Shure 840 and M50(alotta reviews consider it the 2nd coming of jesus). Thoughts/criticisms/feedback?

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Those are 3 very good sounding phones in the price range.
(Owned the 700 & 840; still own the M50.) 

I'd pass on the 840, though.  Despite the modular cable, there are still two very fragile wires exposed.
Plus they weigh a lot, and you can feel that after a while with them on your head.

Almost hate to do it (because it's done so much), but I recommend the M50's.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Audio Technica just came out with new closed headphones, A500X, A700X, A900X.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 9
I noticed the ultrasone hfi-780 has been going for ~$150 on amazon for the past few weeks. It has very strong and deep bass, along with forward mids and highs. It's a very forward sounding headphone that may or may not be your cup of tea since I'm unfamiliar with the type of music you generally listen to. Comfort is an issue with them for many owners and sibilance may be an issue (ymmv).

After stretching the headband out, the comfort is quite tolerable to me, and I've been in love with the sound signature of these headphones since day one.

They remind me of a bigger, fuller version of my westone 3's and completely contrast my former hd555. If you prefer a not so in your face sound, perhaps you could pick up an used pair of Denon D2000s if possible (no idea what the going rate for those are these days). I really enjoyed my D2000s, but the hfi-780's more forward sound signature just swept me away from head-fi haha. Hope you enjoy whichever headphones you end up with 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back