Need some advice for sub $170 full-size headphones
Nov 22, 2010 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

axelsson

New Head-Fier
Hi fellas,

I am a newbie at the forum. I was doing some research to buy my very first headphones and I discovered this outstanding website. I didn't want to open a new topic and read tons of threads, discussions and now I'm lost :D.

May be you guys can help me out.

-I need a sub $170 headphones. I will use mainly with my laptop, tv and iphone. Since I have two roommates, and sometimes we do study and watch tv in the same room. I need minimum sound leakage. 
-I will use it for hours during day, so my first priority is comfort. Beyerdynamics seem very comfortable, I look for something like those
-I listen to rock, house, pop, r&b mostly, and watch movies, some gaming. Need something versatile.
-I won't use amp. I know you guys suggest to get an amp but may be next year or so.
-Portability is not important at all.
-If you guys say some product around $200 and tell me definitely go for it, I may actually, but it would be better if we stay in range.
-I am open for used cans.

Thanks in advance

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 8
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-one-overview/

They sound really good for the price, IMO.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 8
The DT250 (80 ohm version) will meet all of your requirements.  Will improve with an amp amp though certainly not needed.  Its also relatively forgiving of poor sources and recordings.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 8
A friend of mine was in the same position as you and got the DT880, 32 Ohm version.  He is in love.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 8
You should try Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, they are great overal especialy i like that they have tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass and unlike many othwrs they are much easier to drive tha the others i tried while others have lower impedance and are more sensitive

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
You should try Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, they are great overal especialy i like that they have tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass and unlike many othwrs they are much easier to drive tha the others i tried while others have lower impedance and are more sensitive

They are good cans, but a laptop/iphone wont be capable of driving them. 

now, the AD700's are good for movies and gaming (music in general)...but if you love bass they are not for you. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 8
I am in a similar situation as you right now except I don't have two roomates to share it with. You'll want closed headphones probably since open ones like the DT880 and DT990 are open and will leak out sound. Not to mention you'll want some noise isolation I imagine. For that look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm and the Audio Technica M50 as I too listen to hip-hop, RnB, pop, and some rock. Those are my two finalists and I can't for the life of me decide. Both have great sounding bass with the DT770 having a little more and they do the mids and highs quite well I'm told. They are very similar sounding headphones as far as I've heard. From a value standpoint the M50s are definitely the way to go, but the Beyerdynamics look so comfortable and I like the styling of it. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back