...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones...
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cyrex

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I am using a shure se215 IEMs which i got 3 weeks ago and i love them. I am planning to buy a new pair of closed back headphones but im confused. I mostly listen to rock (all kinds of sub genres of rock). I want a punchy & correct bass but not overpowering the mids and the highs. The only model in my mind right now is the shure SRH440 coz i only have $100-150 budget range. Please give me some other options considering these parameters... Thanks in advance... 

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 14
i have the koss tbse1 which is said to sound identical to the dj100 and dj200, those are in your price range. to me, it has a slight forward mid, the bass is present but never overwhelming. the earpads can be a problem though but check them out, maybe they are what you want

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
i have the koss tbse1 which is said to sound identical to the dj100 and dj200, those are in your price range. to me, it has a slight forward mid, the bass is present but never overwhelming. the earpads can be a problem though but check them out, maybe they are what you want

Thanks man... after some googling i came up with these options [size=medium]Shure SRH440[/size], [size=medium]Sennheiser HD 518[/size], [size=medium]Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]. I will consider your suggestion. Any other suggestions?

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 14
also go check out the sony zx700, i dont have it myself though have demoed it in best buy. at that time, i had nothing good as a source, used only my android phone and my vague memory of it was it had less bass than the xb500 next to it and the overall sound signature was fairly neutral and rich. if you can, go listen to it yourself because my memory of it was very very vague. i , however, own the z1000 (discontinued model which was 1 step up from the zx700 and was the flagship before being discontinued) and i think they may sound similar and the z1000 may just be a bit more detailed and everything may just be a bit better. if its very close to the z1000, then ill tell you to GET IT NOW!!! 

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
 which is better closed or open, whats the difference between the two?

closed provides more noise isolation and sound leakage generally and open usually allows better soundstage but will leak sound and does isolate. basically closed, you can use for portable and home. open you can only use it for home.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

if we focus on performance only, ruling out the size or brand, which closed back headphone is the best option in the 100-150 price range?

it really depends on what you want and personal opinion... i may like A better, you may like B better, that kind of thing...

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 14
OP: sorry, I didn't see the budget in your first post. Have you read the article I linked you to? There are some closed cans for <$150 discussed there.
Also, what reddragon says is absolutely correct--the "best" headphone tends to be a subjective matter. If you're simply asking for the "best" at price $X, I think you're going about it the wrong way. I'd suggest starting with the article I linked, then/or searching the forums for something like "closed $100 rock" 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back