Need Recs - IEM for stage-monitoring under $300 (bass player)
May 10, 2015 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DigMe

100+ Head-Fier
I was using some Westone UM1's before this.  Not ideal but not bad and way better than the older Shure (lower end) that I was using.  The UM1's broke a stem so now I need to buy some more.

I'm a bassist in a modern worship setting and I value clarity across the tonal spectrum but I definitely need to hear myself and the kick-drum clearly.  I was just going to order some Westone UM Pro 20's and call it a day because I had a favorable impression of Westone products for live monitoring but I thought I'd shout out and see what else is out there. My bass (an Elrick Gold E-volution 4) has a hifi sound and I want to hear that from the low end to the high end. I want durability as well.

So right now I've taken a look at the UM Pro 20's and the Westone W20 (what's the difference between these two?).  Then I started looking at the Audio Technica ATH-IM03 and thinking, "3 drivers for the price of 2" but not really sure about them. I don't really want to buy used because I don't feel confident without a warranty if I break another stem or something.  I don't know.. kinda want the warranty.

Any thoughts? 

May 10, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 9
You should read about the DUNU DN-2000

Best Luck!

May 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Nope. They're a pretty small company, but their warranty service is worldwide, so wherever you may be, you can apply for warranty.

But would it require shipping to Korea and back? Do either of you have experience using these in a live music setting?

My curiosity is definitely piqued on these especially from a bang-for-buck standpoint but just haven't seen anyone commenting on these from The experience of a performing musician and also not sure about after-sale support.

May 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 9
1. But would it require shipping to Korea and back?
2. Do either of you have experience using these in a live music setting?

1. No, since you're going to be sending it to Taiwan, not Korea. But yeah, you will have to pay for the shipping, although if you pay for both ways, I can't be sure since the warranty card is written in pretty shoddy English hence it doesn't really specify.

2. I'm no professional musician, so no. You might want to read some reviews on the DN2k concerning their isolation.

May 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Anyone know if Amazon will take returns on IEM's if I ordered them, tried them out and they were not my cup of tea?

Yeah, IIRC Amazon does have a 30-day return policy, although it might differ from seller to seller as Amazon is just a marketplace. Check with the seller you're buying from concerning their return policies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back