Need recs: Birthday/Fathers Day present for my dad
post-839746
Post #1 of 4

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Okay, usually I'll buy my dad CDs that he says he wants, but this year I thought I'd do it a little differently and surprise him. So, I come to you to ask for recommendations of CDs he would like, provided the following list of his six favorite CDs (in no particular order):

W. A. Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Notturna, Serenata, Divertimento , performed by Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra, Berlin Chamber Orchestra, Budapest Wind Ensemble

Chopin, Favorite Piano Works , performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy

George Winston, Plains

Benny Goodman, Ken Burns Jazz

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

Oscar Peterson, Jazz 'Round Midnight

Okay, given those CDs, what do you think would be good CDs to buy for him that he would really like? Thanks for the recommendations!

post-841639
Post #2 of 4

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Reaction score
Speaking as a Dad, I'm sure he'd prefer it if you cleaned out the garage or waxed his car for him.

post-845248
Post #3 of 4

strike

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Give him something a little different and try to surprise him, maybe go beyond what he's used to listening to.

I strongly suggest Jeff Buckley's "Grace."

That album is insane. He's got an amazing pair of lungs, and his music is amazing too.

post-846316
Post #4 of 4

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Since your dad seems to like jazz, I'd recommend the Thelonius Monk album "Monk's Dream". It's very good jazz that isn't super demanding, yet has that wonderful eccentric quality that makes Monk special. And it's superb sounding, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)