Need Recommendations. =]
May 20, 2002 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

d00der

New Head-Fier
Hey, I need some help with making a decision on which headphones i should invest it or look into at least. I've done some of my own research and read through many of the posts on this forum, but just want to hear what you guys think i should go with.

1. I am looking for headphones to use with my computer.
- I am considering on getting an amp if i need to.
2. Something comfortable (something that goes around the ears)
3. Closed air headphones. I live in a dorm, so different study times etc, need something quite. (though this is not critical)
4. I prefer DNB, techno, etc.. So something with the 'ooomph' in the bass
wink.gif

I've went through some of the bigger companies i know and picked up a few names:
1. Bose QuietComfort® headset - Seems to be a nice closed air pair, but im not sure about sound quality on these things.
2. Sennheiser 590's - these seem to be perfect, but they are not closed air. My question is: How much do they generate around you when you are playing the music..
3. Sennheiser 2270 - closed air, look nice, not sure about sound quality.
4. AKG 270's - not sure about sound quality, or how comfortable they are.

I dont want anything too high-end like AKG 1000's or Sennheiser 600's... So what do you guys think about those choices, also can you recommend anything to suit my needs?

thanks =]

May 20, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 10
You're gonna get two answers here:

1. Sony MDR-V6 (or MDR-7506, same cans)

2. Beyerdynamics DT-831s (I think thats the ones)

3. Reevaluate your needs and consider Etymonics ER-6s or ER-4s.

Avoid the Bose thier stuff is WAY overpriced for what you get.

As for the amp, the Sony's or the Beyers shouldn't *need* an amp, but *everything* sounds better with an amp including the Koss KSC35s/50s/(S)Portapros everyone here is fond of in the cheap-end of the sperectrum.

Even with a high-end amp the closed cans options really look about the same.

Might I recommend a good amp with HD600s with a Cardas cable and building an acoustic isolation box around your head? :wink: (Might cause long-term back and neck problems though)

May 20, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 10
No offense, but I would dump everything from your list. None of them are good for what you've described.

You also didn't mention your price.

The three headphones you should probably look into:

Beyer DT250-80
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506
Sennheiser HD280

May 21, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 10
The 770s are much better cans (in terms of sound quality) than the v6 IMO, but they benefit a lot more from an amp.

For computer use the v6 are hard to beat: they're easy to drive, work well with games, the coiled cord is long enough to reach to the sound card jack at the back of the computer, but still short enough that it doesn't get in the way, are pretty cheap, and they sound good too.

That said, if you have the money the beyer dt250's better sound may be worth it (I guess the senns would fall somewhere in between the v6 and beyers).

May 21, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 10
Without an amp - Beyer 250-80
With an amp - Beyer 770pro

These would have to me my 2 favourite headphones for d&b, techno, trance, dance etc.

May 21, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 10
For the money, the V6's are great price, but consider some other ones too. The V6's sound quite siblant and harsh, and the bass is a little too strong for my taste (more visceral than i'd like). I know Grado ain't closed, so i won't recommend it.

Sidenote: Do the V6's really isolate that much? They seem to isolate only a little more than the SR80's.

May 22, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 10
Yea, you will still need an amp even with the Audigy. Many people feel the Audigy is an inferior soundcard compared to others like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. However, I personally would not invest too much in an amp if your only source is the computer. The sound from my MG Head improves greatly with my only my D-25 compared to my Monster MX300 or my brother's SB Live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back