Need Recommendations on BA-based iem with decent sub bass rumble besides TF10
Oct 13, 2012 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any universals with balanced armature driver(s) the can do sub bass rumble or is the tf10 in 2012 still the only one? um3x and W3 have more of an midbass hump, that i do not like. sm3/sm2 would have been great if i could stand the soundstage, which seems wierd to me.

i cannot believe, that these are still the only ones that can do the first tone on Battleship OST straight down to the deepest lows and rattle my bones. i know, that this could be an easy exercize for the most dynamics, but i do need the micro detailing, separation and pin point accuracy of balanced armature.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 19
I think you can give a try to the JVC fx101 for 15€, and probably you will be amazed how good this iem is, with that type of music.

I'm A/B them with a FA dba-02 (dual armature) and a clip+ as source.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 19
The TF10 bass is pretty laughable when you hear any earphones that can do lows, though the laughter turns to tears as said earphones just don't have any detail. I would say have a look at the FXD80's, far more bass than the TF10's and it a lot lower but still not wholly there for tracks with sub bass. I haven't spent a lot of time with them but they do sound good. They are dynamics but you're not going to get bass with BA's generally hence lots of customs using a dynamic for the low end.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 19
Ok. I did understand what you meant.

But, Dba-02 are known to have the micro detail, separation, and have a good kick for an armature, but sorry, IMO the kind of music that you refer, benefits with the rumble, "V" shape signature from a dinamic transducer.
My intention was that, comparing a dual armature with a budget dynamics with this type of music.

As you said, those armature IEM's are normally the references for the low end.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
sorry, i own them. but it seems, that you did not read what i am looking for.

Ok. I did understand what you meant.

But, Dba-02 are known to have the micro detail, separation, and have a good kick for an armature, but sorry, IMO the kind of music that you refer, benefits with the rumble, "V" shape signature from a dinamic transducer.
My intention was that, comparing a dual armature with a budget dynamics with this type of music.

As you said, those armature IEM's are normally the references for the low end.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 19
maybe, still afraid of hot highs with the sonys.

XBA-4 doesn't have 'hot' treble per se. It is a little metallic when the volume is turned too high, but still it is one of the smoothest sounding top-end Sony IEM ever with no hint of sibilance.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 19
I didn't have the chance to compare both together, but I remember XBA-3 being more bright as it has a more dynamic presentation with a V-shaped sound. XBA-4 on the other hand is more mid and bass dominance.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 19
I found the FXD80 to be an improved TF10. Similar signature, but MUCH more clarity in the mids. Treble definition is about the same, most of its bass is concentrated in the sub regions. Huge bang for the buck.

I find it the other way around, I switch to TF10's and I find much more clarity and detail - but a big loss in terms of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back