Need recommendations/help
Mar 16, 2020 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

stimp34

New Head-Fier
Hello I am new to high quality audio so please forgive my ignorance.

I am looking to get headphones, dac, and amp. My usage is 90% gaming 10% media consumption(youtube, netflix, twitch, etc). I want headphones that are closed/noise canceling. I also want them to be very good for competitive gaming(hearing footsteps locations etc) and also good for everything else if possible. I also would like a dac or amp with bass boost so when not gaming I can add it to get some bass for music etc. I will be using this setup for PC and consoles(NES-next gen 2020/21). I want a dac with optical/toslink in and analogue in. I would prefer a dac with ALL inputs so I can get one that will last a very long time and be universal/work with everything from old to new. I would like recommendations for everything. Budget isn't really an issue, BUT I don't want to be spending a ridiculous amount because my ears may not be good for the really really expensive stuff. I am basically deaf because I have had a sound system in my car with 2 12" subs blasting for 12 years. Please suggest headphones, dac, amp. I want really good stuff that will last a long time. I was told to get a dac and amp separately because it gives me more options. Budget is $300-500(or less) for everything, the cheaper the better honestly(but still want good products). Can be convinced to get more expensive products, but would need validation as to why.

Headphones I was suggested: Sennheiser HD280PRO & Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Thank you for you help/suggestions.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 23
Do you game using headphone surround sound (5.1), if so, then get something like the Creative Labs G5 or G6 external sound card.
If you just going to listen in stereo audio, then a external DAC/amp is fine.
Check out the Soundmagic HP151 headphones (lively bassy sound).

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 23
Do you game using headphone surround sound (5.1), if so, then get something like the Creative Labs G5 or G6 external sound card.
If you just going to listen in stereo audio, then a external DAC/amp is fine.
Check out the Soundmagic HP151 headphones (lively bassy sound).
I heard the "surround" was not real and crap quality. I currently use Logitech g930 which has 7.1 but I am not going for fake surround this time. I want a high quality headphone for competitive gaming

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 23
Which games do you play? My usage are almost equal to yours which are 90% gaming and the rest are for youtube, music, mp3, netflix and mkv's.
The only one closed headphone that might suit your needs is the Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm.
Fiio E10K might be fine too, I use this to power my DT770. The other dac/amps are the Fiio K5 Pro which has optical in.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 23
I play a wide range of games but I just want high quality audio that is good for hearing footsteps/competitive gaming like cod, pubg, apex, etc.
Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990/1770/1990 then.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 23
thank you i will check those out. Still would like to hear from others to see if anyone else has suggestions/input.
Any time. The mentioned headphones are the most popular amongst those who wants them for competitive games and hear any detail like the footsteps.

About the others telling you to get a dac/amp because it gives you more options is very subjective. Just make sure not to pay more then necessary, especially for your needs.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 23
ya that is why I came here to get other people inputs because I am new to high quality audio and want peoples opinions and suggestions. I would prefer to spend less unless necessary. I was originally going to get steelseries artic pro wireless for $300 and people said no get hifi headphones and possibly dac/amp. so now i am trying to do that so I can have high quality audio.

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 23
ya that is why I came here to get other people inputs because I am new to high quality audio and want peoples opinions and suggestions. I would prefer to spend less unless necessary. I was originally going to get steelseries artic pro wireless for $300 and people said no get hifi headphones and possibly dac/amp. so now i am trying to do that so I can have high quality audio.
Exactly. If you prefer to spend less, then Fiio E10K it is and to have more budget left for a better headphone. It may sound weird, a cheap amp and high-end headphone but let's be honest, will you hear any difference? Especially for your use cases?

Wireless headphones are not really a best choice and for 300$ it's a rip-off. There are better headphones out there for that price. For me it's the Meze 99 Classics for example.

For PC you can use the E10K for example to power the least efficient headphones like the DT770. For consoles... how do you connect headphones to them?

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 23
consoles have optical out and are hooked up to my tv via hdmi which also has optical & aux out.

Now I have people telling me I should be getting open headphones because they are better for gaming.

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 23
consoles have optical out and are hooked up to my tv via hdmi which also has optical & aux out.

Now I have people telling me I should be getting open headphones because they are better for gaming.
I see. I was curious because I once tried my Amiron Home connected to PS4 controller and the sound was low. It can't enough power to high impedance headphones and I can tell you, the DT770 is very inefficient, too hard to drive using portable devices like mp3 player.

Wether open headphones are better for gaming... I have no idea. Did they tell you why? I have open and closed headphones and they all sound very good.

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 23
it seems like I have been convinced to get open back headphones because they are better for gaming. I was suggested Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones and a soundblaster G6 because of my use case.

the next step up would be getting into analytical music listening and would cost about $700-800 for DT1990s w/ schiit heresy and modi. which is more than what I want to pay and need.

thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back