Need recommendations for closed back FRFR headphones
Aug 20, 2022 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Clay49

100+ Head-Fier
I tried to do some searching here on the forum but didn’t really pull up anything on this specifically, although I know it’s probably been addressed. Please feel free to post in links if you know of any.

I need a set of closed back headphones that are similar in character to the Sennheiser HD 600. Looking for a full range flat response, and that are closed back and fully sealed. I need this to dial in some acoustic guitar tones and my two sets of headphones are open back, so obviously I get the bleed through the earpads and can’t tell what I’m actually listening to.

I don’t mind spending money on quality headphones, but just didn’t know what is out there that really approaches full range flat response.

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 9
DCA Stealth. Unfortunately 4 thousand USD :frowning2:
Or DCA Aeon Closed / Noire, way cheaper, still good.
thanks, yes, 4000 would be a bit steep…Surely something a little less expensive would get the same results? I love my hi-fiman 1000 HE V2… Wish they were closed back.

So the a EON and the NOIRE are truly flat response? No enhancements in any of the frequency ranges for the most part?

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 9
I tried to do some searching here on the forum but didn’t really pull up anything on this specifically, although I know it’s probably been addressed. Please feel free to post in links if you know of any.

I need a set of closed back headphones that are similar in character to the Sennheiser HD 600. Looking for a full range flat response, and that are closed back and fully sealed. I need this to dial in some acoustic guitar tones and my two sets of headphones are open back, so obviously I get the bleed through the earpads and can’t tell what I’m actually listening to.

I don’t mind spending money on quality headphones, but just didn’t know what is out there that really approaches full range flat response.
Beyer DT 1770, 250 ohms

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 9
thanks, yes, 4000 would be a bit steep…Surely something a little less expensive would get the same results? I love my hi-fiman 1000 HE V2… Wish they were closed back.

So the a EON and the NOIRE are truly flat response? No enhancements in any of the frequency ranges for the most part?
If you look to FR graphs, none headphones have FLAT response. It is not desired, as average ear dampens certain frequencies. But if I guess right, you seek for neutral tuning, which I believe DCA Aeon has.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 9
Just purchased an AEON Noire, and find it very agreeable but nor necessarily flat neutral. It has the Harman bass boost and would need more pinna gain to be neutral.
Additionally it is know to be quite demanding on the source. Still sounds great to me with a Chord Hugo 2, just not neutral like my pretty neutral Focal Clears, but rather darker.
I also tried the Stealth and that headphone is supremely neutral! Excellent if you are looking for that, but $4000....?

I would check out Crinacle's list, filter for closed headphones and check the FR of interesting models in his comparison tool, using the DCA Stealth or the HD600 as a reference.
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Stealth,AH-D5200

Depending on your expectations regarding technicalities you should be able to find something at different price and performance levels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back